Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED Need help on downgrading Thunar from 1.8.4 to 1.6.3

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
djk44883

Re: SOLVED Need help on downgrading Thunar from 1.8.4 to 1.6

#21 Post by djk44883 »

Bloom wrote: I bet you can safely upgrade to
I "bet you can" could be interrupted as - well I don't know, you can take a chance and see what happens, or go a head and try this and see what happens.

If you're not really sure... come out and explicitly say. "There's a chance this may work. I haven't actually used it, and it may cause you issues, but the logic is there" well, something along those lines -- I bet you could provide a clear disclaimer!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

djk44883 wrote:-- I bet you could provide a clear disclaimer!
Exactly. It's true many answers here are not well qualified. There is a difference between operating on a lone computer with minimal external support, and playing on a vm with many rescue paths.
If we understand my point with vm's, destructive testing is by far the fastest and most effective way to decide. In a vm the time to gdebi in a sid package, test things to conclusion or failure, should take less time than reading this thread.
Personally, altering sources.list is always a bad idea and never required.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

We already know that only a newer Thunar just flat out won't work. Haven't you read this thread? How much experience do you have building and integrating a newer version of XFCE and its panel plugins? I've done the 4.10 to 4.12 transition and a part of the 4.12-4.14 for MX Linux.

Let me get this straight. Are you still advocating FrankenDebian when we already know my backports repo solves the issue--yes or no?
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by CwF »

stevepusser wrote:Are you still advocating FrankenDebian
Bloom might be, for me not really. I'm just pointing out the many questions that can simply be answered by doing. I have no doubt your repos would work fine. No doubt ripping the new out and forcing the old could be done too. In either case with any answer something will be learned. I'm not worried about frankendebians, after all there's a few out there, called distros. I answer these type questions my self on vm's. I had already gone through it a few months back and did what I said in my first post. I made some variations and settled.

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

I'm not worried about frankendebians, after all there's a few out there, called distros.
I'm afraid you don't really understand what a FrankenDebian is if you think some distros fit that definition. Name a couple.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

Well if a few packages from sid is a Frankendebian, then I'm not scared. If many poorly chosen repositories in ones sources.list is a frankendebian, I don't do that. Outside of that, no, I don't understand.
I haven't tried any distro in years, so I don't know any. Just debian. I don't look for new ways, I work backwards from the desired result. If a single injected package from sid works, that is the answer. If not, well we start making stuff if it's that important. Since I installed as Jessie, many injected packages are simply forgotten from attrition. I've ruined many clones. I started looking at buster last December. At that time I needed to hold a few things and had a dozen things injected from sid. A few weeks ago I moved things to my buster final image and 2 packages remain. That isn't a frankendebian I don't think.

djk44883

#27 Post by djk44883 »

I bet Bloom is just guessing. stevepusser is a developer backported created a repository for a stable system... you don't think he has a clue about things?

Debian is stable is about have a system that is stable. Stick to stable debian sources and your system will stay up for as long as almost necessary.

I have a system running now Bullseye testing, when Buster, it would go weeks between reboots. Although issues may occur, myself and many have found debian testing to be secure enough for routine use. Me, it's my media PC, so it's not critical. I have Buster stable on my system taking care of my household and personal expenses and issues.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by CwF »

yep, all that djk44883. I do stick to stable. I appreciate what stevepusser does, and he does it for larger questions than I do with an occasional vm tested injected package. I give my big machines courteous reboots within 90 days of uptime. That's the stability I expect. And frankly that's what I get. The mentioned move to my final buster image (just vm's) was my last reboot, I think at 88 days...

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

I updated xfce4-settings in the repo to 4.14.1 from Sid, and now there's a new Color Profiles setting. But we're still trying to figure out how it works on the MX 19 public beta.