Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which Debian Pure Blend interests you most?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

Which Debian Pure Blend interests you most?

#1 Post by kedaha »

Which Debian Pure Blend or Blends do you use or, which interest you?
Debian Pure Blends are a solution for groups of people with specific needs.
In my case: DebianMultimedia and FreedomBox. Thanks for any comments.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which Debian Pure Blend interests you most?

#2 Post by CwF »

Slow roasted stable.
qemu-kvm flavored creamers.

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

Debian stable netinstall. Someone can set it up for whatever it is they want/need.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Thanks for reading and for your replies.
I'm not sure if all that many people are aware what a "Pure Debian Blend" is. It would be interesting to know if anyone here uses blends like DebianEdu (skolelinux) or Debian Med. I've started using FreedomBox and I hope to contribute to it some way in the future; these are "distros" (I hate the word but I'll use it), rather than the entire stable branch, but unlike say, Ubuntu, they are 100% compatible with pure Debian but each aimed at specific groups of users, like teachers, doctors or engineers with their own needs and interests.

One idea that I've heard mooted is for them to be included as options in the Debian installer.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

I shall now annoy myself(and others.)

Doesn't get more pure blend Debian, than Debian. Though get what you're saying and mean. All those are Debian only with the config options made for the users. Could argue they are all already included in the Debian installer. Someone just needs to know what they want and what to do to get it. Admit do think it's cool and saves people a lot of time when someone puts out a specialized purpose spin of Debian though. I'm a Debian fanBoi also and somewhat think it detracts from the main project itself. Blah blah, a rose under any other name is a rose. Debian under any other name and a different logo, is still Debian.

Crunchbang gnu/Linux was amazing to me. Wasn't so much a special niche distro but think Corenominal was a genius in terms of his software and config choices and changed the way I'll look at operating systems forever. So actually do have to approve of these Debian pure blend things. Makes sense to me and can see the value.

Ps, dang it now I've got to Google Freedombox! :)

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

kedaha wrote: these are "distros" (I hate the word but I'll use it),.....
One idea that I've heard mooted is for them to be included as options in the Debian installer.
Perhaps not "distros" but some form of tasksel metapackage, an entire workflow in a deb.

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Or maybe a script? My scripting know how is really lacking but do know there are plenty of nixers who customize all hades out of an install just by running a script on it. Which was also something really cool in Crunchbang, he included a cb-welcome script. First boot after installing it'd run and ask you, do you want to install this, what about this (ie: the lamp stack or Liquorix kernel etc etc.) Don't know if Corenominal pioneered it or not but think it's cool.