Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Linux kernel.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hack3rcon

Installing Linux kernel.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
For install Linux kernel manually, which information about the system are needed? For example, how can I sure which option is OK for my sound card or etc.

Thanks.

reinob

Re: Installing Linux kernel.

#2 Post by reinob »

hack3rcon wrote:Hello,
For install Linux kernel manually, which information about the system are needed? For example, how can I sure which option is OK for my sound card or etc.

Thanks.
If you really want to do that, then you need to prepare a list of exactly which hardware you have. Then you go to your kernel sources, run "make menuconfig" and check every single option, reading the associated help, and decide whether you want to enable the option or not.

Note that many kernel options are linked to (depend on or are dependencies of) others, so it may not work the way you expect. But since you're asking, you probably want to invest the time to learn each and every option of the kernel, so this is the way to go.

Come back in one year or so and ask if you had any difficulties :)

hack3rcon

#3 Post by hack3rcon »

Thanks.
How can I prepare an exact list of system hardware? Motherboard specifications?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If you are a beginner, just stick to the default install with the non-free firmware.

If you learn more about what your system needs, you may be able to remove some or all of the firmware.

There is absolutely no need for a beginner to jump right into recompiling their kernel. This isn't 1992, for Pete's sake.
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Also buster-backports has the 5.2 kernel if you need it.