Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Heating SSD on Buster!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
touki

Heating SSD on Buster!

#1 Post by touki »

Hi all,

I recently installed Buster on my MacBook Air 2013 -- I updated the packages and settled usual minor issues with broadcom drivers. I was on Stretch before, everything went fine, but decided to do a fresh install.

I have a problem that persists, namely that, 'sensors' gives me 'TH0a: +76.2°C' (I can also feel it on my legs) without any load (top shows that no swap is used, I have 1.79 memory free, and 70 giga free space).

I believe TH0a refers to a sensor in my SSD (Apple SSD SD0128) and I believe the temperature is way too high.

Have you specific manips in mind that should be carried in order to address it? Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks already!

NB.: I had some assistance on the IRC (like switching from Gnome to XFCE, installing thermald, etc), but nothing seemed to have worked out. I just tried Manjaro XFCE, and it seems the problem is the same. I thus wonder 1) if the fresh install could have damaged my SSD or 2) if the problem could be related to the 4.19 Kernel.

pylkko

Re: Heating SSD on Buster!

#2 Post by pylkko »

If the ssd is overheating, it is very unlikely that anything else except either firmware change or more ventilation will change that. I really doubt that going from gnome to xfce will help.

But you might get some clues by following the I/O of the disk, or trying to change some power setting values (So that it does not do stuff so often). Caching and ASPM can be adjusted in gnome disks. powertop has some other options.

However, if under normal idle state it is at 72 celcius, that is really abnormally high. MIne is at 31 after hours of fairly intesive use.

phenest

#3 Post by phenest »

Can you read other temperature sensors like CPU, video, etc. Could your CPU be getting hot and causing the SSD to get hot if it's close to it?.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

In addition to the above mentioned possibilities, it might be some kind of hardware fault. I would try swapping the drive to check.