Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 does not boot after installation

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Abormot

Debian 10 does not boot after installation

#1 Post by Abormot »

Just got Dell XPS 2 in 1 7390 Icelake and installed Debian-live-10.0.0.-gnome.iso, but it won't boot giving me this on black screen: [0.661704] hw perf events fixed 4 > max(3), clipping! I am running latest BIOS 1.0.9. Looks like some conflicts between BIOS and Kernel.

How to solve it - any ideas?

smoki

Re: Debian 10 does not boot after installation

#2 Post by smoki »

I think Debian 10.1.0 was released with various fixes along with new iso images, in general it is recommended to use latest iso for new istallations.
If kernel issue for example, Debian 10.1.0 bumped kernel from 4.19.37 to 4.19.67, so hopefully that fixes something.

To be honest i dunno what live isos are doing or does kernel gets updated there during install or not... i always do netinstall, mini.iso or something and expert, so can't be sure what happens for every possible automatic scenarios :lol:

Or if that is some very new hardware then try installing kernel from backports repo, i think currently some 5.2.x is available.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974?

Can you boot to a console screen by adding systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel command line parameter?

Did you use the Calamares installer from the live environment or the installer from the boot menu? I think Calamares is more reliable for the live images, the netinstall may be the best option of all though.
deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

So it's this bleeding edge Intel tenth-generation laptop?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14727/de ... pus-inside

Yeah, Debian stable often takes a bit of time to catch up with hardware released a year after it was frozen. You might research to see if Mesa 18.3.6 in Buster even supports Icelake graphics. I don't think there's a newer Mesa in backports yet, either, but doing it yourself hasn't been impossible in the past.
MX Linux packager and developer

Abormot

#5 Post by Abormot »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974?

Can you boot to a console screen by adding systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel command line parameter?

Did you use the Calamares installer from the live environment or the installer from the boot menu? I think Calamares is more reliable for the live images, the netinstall may be the best option of all though.
1. I can't - message still appear after I added "systemd.unit=multi-user.target".
2. I did not use Calamares installer, but I used installer from boot menu.
3. What is netinstall version? As I understood I should have internet connection for being able to use netinstall image or I am wrong? I can't have internet connection because wireless driver will not work.