Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading stretch to buster, hangs in multi-user [FIXED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
agrimstad

Upgrading stretch to buster, hangs in multi-user [FIXED]

#1 Post by agrimstad »

First, multi-user and gnome are working for me in buster after a full upgrade from stretch. That's not the problem.

When I just boot and let the system try to boot into the default multi-user, it hangs very late in the process, right after the console message about invoking gnome. The next boot message concerns using Cntl-C to abort filesystem checking. (Cntl-C has no effect, though.) After about a minute there is a message about the sound card. And then no new messages or any change after a long wait. I can ssh into the machine and it seems to be working and this is the only clean way I can reboot it as it won't respond to anything like cntrl-alt-del at the console.

If I boot into recovery mode and simply type control-d when prompted for root's password, I boot into the gnome gui. All is well. So my problem is merely an annoyance, not a show stopper. But this shouldn't be happening. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Some grub thing? Thanks.
Last edited by agrimstad on 2019-09-11 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

agrimstad

Re: Upgrading stretch to buster, hangs in multi-user [FIXED]

#2 Post by agrimstad »

This was related to grub. In stretch I had, for reasons I've now forgotten, I had this in /etc/default/grub:

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"
Getting rid of nomodeset made the problem go away.