Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why isn't XFS a choice when setting up a new system?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
road hazard

#1 Post by road hazard »

First off, I couldn't search on 'xfs' to see if this has been asked before because I guess 3 characters is below the minimum?

On to the question.... when I install a fresh copy of Debian 10, XFS isn't a choice for the file system. Is there a design reason for that? I'm just paranoid about using EXT4 on an SSD.

cuckooflew

Re: Why isn't XFS a choice when setting up a new system?

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

Probably one of the mailing lists that Debian developers use would be a better place to get a answer, this forum is Debian users, and no one here is involved in the development of Debian, the developers would know why they do not make it a choice when you install,all though you can use xfs for the file system, if you do a custom install.
I did some searches for you, and found this,: Keywords=

Code: Select all

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1169535
XFS --if it's more robust, why are we using ext4 instead?
---snip---
The historical problem with XFS is that it didn't perform well writing metadata. EXT3 and 4 kicked its ass.

That's all being fixed in Linux 3.3. http://lwn.net/Articles/476263/.

I think that XFS is a great file system that will eventually take over the "traditional" file system crown from EXT4.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Because there is no issue.
Some patterns are better suited to a spinner, but I haven't ran an OS on anything but ssd's for the last decade. I've come across one combo that borked itself every few months. Outside of that I have 100k hours on ext4, way over that on early ntfs, all on ssd's without issue.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Some more searches for the OP , and it appears XFS is a choice, but it is a custom install, advanced, and it depends on what architecture the hardware is.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 03.html.en
The following file systems are supported.

ext2, ext3, ext4

The default file system selected in most cases is ext4; for /boot partitions ext2 will be selected by default when guided partitioning is used.

jfs (not available on all architectures)

****** xfs (not available on all architectures) ******
----snip----
Capabilities of partman can be extended with installer modules, but are dependent on your system's architecture. So if you can't see all promised goodies, check if you have loaded all required modules (e.g. partman-ext3, partman-xfs, or partman-lvm). -----

vbrummond

#5 Post by vbrummond »

I have used xfs as my default filesystem for over ten years with no issues. I once had data corruption issues with ext4, nothing serious. It has been rock solid since. ext2/3 never gave me any problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Always on Debian Testing

road hazard

#6 Post by road hazard »

Sounds good, thanks to everyone for replying!