Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nouveau - works in Stretch, not in Buster

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
dajames

Re: Nouveau - works in Stretch, not in Buster

#21 Post by dajames »

neodeb wrote:@dajames Well you could go back to Debian 9 stretch, with the nvidia-304 proprietary driver (made easy by sgfxi) but oldstable and lack of Nvidia-304 driver upgrades will get old fast. And Nouveau is worse.
I have Debian 9 running on this hardware (from a different hard drive) with the Nouveau driver. That's fine. What I'm trying to do, though, is specifically to try out Debian 10.

Incidentally: I notice that that the current Ubuntu release (Disco Dingo - 19.04) [running from a liveUSB] runs nouveau just fine with a 5.0 kernel (newer than in Debian 10) ... but that is running Wayland rather than Xorg, so quite a different environment.
Since Debian 10 buster stable cut-off the Nvidia unmaintained nvidia-304 via xorg >1.20, then I was starting to have some hacking success by patching the nvidia installer for nvidia-304 as working in LinuxMint ...
I'd say that it's nVidia not supporting the new Xorg rather than Xorg not supporting the nVidia driver. I suppose one has to expect a vendor to stop supporting older cards at some time (but I'd hope for rather longer support than this -- especially for a built-in chipset). The Nouveau driver is Open Source, though, and should be able to be kept going for far longer.
Side Note: You probably need the change the thermal paste under your CPU chip too. MIne is Athlon X2 with (not used) Nvidia 6150E built in also.
Yes, that's been on my mind as I've been noticing some elevated (though not alarmingly so) temperatures in the recent hot weather.
Please don't support Nvidia. ...
When I built that PC I wanted a socket AM2 motherboard with onboard graphics and support for ECC memory. The board I have seemed to tick the right boxes. At the time nVidia were supposedly easier to work with than AMD/ATI so it seemed a reasonable choice.

Things have changed.

jean2

#22 Post by jean2 »

Hi,

Has the Nouveau bug at the start if this thread been reported in the Debian bug tracking ? If yes, can I have the bug number ?
I seem to be hitting the same issue after an upgrade to Buster with a Quadro FX560.
Thanks in advance !

Jean

dajames

#23 Post by dajames »

jean2 wrote:Has the Nouveau bug at the start if this thread been reported in the Debian bug tracking ? If yes, can I have the bug number ?
Sorry, it's taken me a while to get around to this. The bug has now been reported and the number is 943844.

I hope that helps.