Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble with Firefox 69 install [solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
vinoman

Trouble with Firefox 69 install [solved]

#1 Post by vinoman »

I installed Firefox 69 using snap but it doesn't let you download files and won't let you make it the default browser. Why is this? Do I have to delete Firefox ESR for it to work correctly?

What is the best way to install Firefox? Why do we have to be stuck the the ESR version?

Running Debian testing and like it very much except for this Firefox version problem.
Last edited by vinoman on 2019-09-20 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

Re: Trouble with Firefox 69 install

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

This has been covered in many posts in the forum but the easiest way to have the latest version of Firefox is to download the tar file from Mozilla, extract it to your $HOME and navigate inside the folder and run it, this way you can get updates via the help menu, you can also create a menu entry using a .desktop file (depending on your DE).

vinoman

#3 Post by vinoman »

Thank you, how do I create the icon and entry for Firefox Quantum?

vinoman

#5 Post by vinoman »

This is for gnome, I'm using KDE
do I use the Firefox or Firefox-bin file for this? don't see any firefox icon image to use.
will it add it to the menu list?

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

I don't use KDE but the first hit on my google search was https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-work ... start.html

vinoman

#7 Post by vinoman »

Dai_trying wrote:I don't use KDE but the first hit on my google search was https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-work ... start.html
Thanks for the info. Firefox Quantum added to menu and up and running :)

one more question... will it update? It's not listed in Synaptic. It's in the Firefox folder in my Downloads folder.

[solved]

Dai_trying

Re: Trouble with Firefox 69 install [solved]

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

If you look in the help menu there should be an item to "check for updates", if not look at the about dialog and that might have it, I haven't checked recently but it should be one of those places.

vinoman

#9 Post by vinoman »

Dai_trying wrote:If you look in the help menu there should be an item to "check for updates", if not look at the about dialog and that might have it, I haven't checked recently but it should be one of those places.
Thanks

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

Your welcome. :)