Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

#1 Post by pylkko »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9ke3 ... ly-willing

EDIT:
more:

https://futurism.com/the-byte/mit-scien ... pedophilia

So, future of FOSS and FSF dangles along on branch of uncertainty as this weird farce goes on...
Last edited by pylkko on 2019-10-14 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

swirling_vortex

Re: Stallman resigns from FSF and MIT in protest

#2 Post by swirling_vortex »

FOSS isn't going anywhere. The whole culture of programming has changed over the past 2 decades that it's forced companies like Microsoft to become involved in it. Stallman hasn't been an active programmer since what, maybe the early 90s? And even then, he's been relegated to a spokeman that even Linus doesn't want to deal with.

For the FSF? Maybe. Quite frankly, their outreach and campaigns haven't been all that effective (think of bad vista and ddos-ing apple genius bars). I don't know of anyone who came to open source software specifically because of the FSF. I'd much prefer they go in the direction of their European counterparts, the FSFE.

https://fsfe.org/work.en.html

alan stone

#3 Post by alan stone »

Richard Stalledman :( and life goes on.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

swirling_vortex wrote:FOSS isn't going anywhere. The whole culture of programming has changed over the past 2 decades that it's forced companies like Microsoft to become involved in it. Stallman hasn't been an active programmer since what, maybe the early 90s? And even then, he's been relegated to a spokeman that even Linus doesn't want to deal with.

For the FSF? Maybe. Quite frankly, their outreach and campaigns haven't been all that effective (think of bad vista and ddos-ing apple genius bars). I don't know of anyone who came to open source software specifically because of the FSF. I'd much prefer they go in the direction of their European counterparts, the FSFE.

https://fsfe.org/work.en.html
FOSS is defintely going somewhere, currently it might be fair to say that don't know where. While I agree with you that Stallman was an extremely prolific programmer once (and might not be any more), I think this has little relevance for where FOSS "is going" in the future. Practically everything else he has done has some kind of effect on where it is going, except for the programming...

It might be a good thing, you know, to have different kinds of people advocating FOSS. Linus deals more with the industry (Linux foundation friends, T&T, Cisco, Facebook, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Huawei, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NEC, Oracle, Qualcomm, Samsung, and VMware to name a few). What about smaller groups of people and individuals? There is a lot of GNU and GLP software that was put together by commons and groups of interested people. Linus was never there.

I am not sure that I know anyone that "came to open source because of fsf either". I know that in the last 10 years new people have more or less come to corporate cloud computing services.

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

pylkko wrote:I am not sure that I know anyone that "came to open source because of fsf either".
Some may have come to the FSF because of open source though.
pylkko wrote:I know that in the last 10 years new people have more or less come to corporate cloud computing services.
However, Debian already provides an alternative to such centralization: see wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox, whereby all data gets stored on your own personal cloud server.
Personal servers running on energy-efficient microprocessors may one day rule the world after all those data-mining dinosaurian corporate cloud services have become extinct. Who knows?
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Fernando Negro

#6 Post by Fernando Negro »

Personally, I'm not surprised to learn this about Richard Stallman...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/famed-mit ... ly-willing

He supports the (pro-War) Democratic Party, and the (pro-poverty, pro-population reduction and control, and pro-ecological lies) Green Party. So, he cannot truly be an "ethical" person.

He created the FSF while working at the private, elitist MIT. A well-known institution of the US establishment, which receives money from DARPA, and which develops Artificial Intelligence - that well-informed persons know it's mainly going to be used on surveillance projects.

Also, people who are politically well-informed know there is a clear agenda, from the part of the Western establishment, to sexualize children: http://endoftheamericandream.com/archiv ... ic-schools + https://www.infowars.com/salon-pushes-p ... thy-again/

Taking all this into account, and also noticing how the biggest user of Free Software is the (private) establishment itself, in the form of the exact companies that are known to be surveilling everyone (Facebook, Google, Amazon)... Everything fits, or adds up.

This being said,

And, although I really don't like what I've learned about the creator of this Free Software movement...

Creations are one thing, and their creators another.

Am I going to go back to (the still horrible, after all this years) Microsoft Windows because of this? Or, does all of this invalidate the superior performance and all the other great qualities of Free Software, in itself?

Like,

Will I stop using helicopters and jet aircraft, because they were Nazi inventions? Or, will I refuse to ride on Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen cars, because of their Nazi ties?
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

kedaha wrote: However, Debian already provides an alternative to such centralization: see wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox, whereby all data gets stored on your own personal cloud server.
Personal servers running on energy-efficient microprocessors may one day rule the world after all those data-mining dinosaurian corporate cloud services have become extinct. Who knows?
I am aware of the existing DIY cloud platforms (owncloud, nextcloud etc), and even of things like zeta https://zetaglobal.com/zeta-private-data-cloud/ which at least claim to use your data reposnsibly. But what I meant with that comment was more that new people, i.e people that are aged 15, and the generations to come after them, it seems that they are more and more int using cloud computing. Many uni freshmen nowadays don't even own other computers than mobile devices. In essence, they only have "thin client" to web services on a devices where Apple or Google has root. Most of the services that are considered essential not just for using computers but to living a normal life are, proprietary, closed sourced, pay-per-use services, which own your data and meta data and diplay adds like, youtube, spotify, whatsapp, google docs, pics, music whatever.

Self-driving cars that you can pay-per-use are coming. Just imagine being shown a few messages from out sponsors before you are allowed to depart. That's the "future".

Fernando Negro

#8 Post by Fernando Negro »

Fernando Negro wrote:Creations are one thing, and their creators another.
Just to better illustrate the point I was making... Here goes another example, related to the so-called "U.S. Founding Fathers", who created the (concept of the) modern form of government that most developed countries nowadays have.
«George Washington enslaved 216 Black Africans, 92 of them children. This unusually high number of children who were unable to work his plantation indicates that George was heavily involved in the breeding of Black people for the domestic slave trade (White historians destroyed most of Washington’s plantation records). Human beings were one of Virginia’s most profitable “cash crops.” A visitor to Washington’s plantation wrote in his diary that he felt ill treated by the President, who didn’t supply him with a female slave for his sexual enjoyment—that is to say, rape. Thomas Jefferson famously molested the 14-year-old Black captive named Sally Hemings, forcing her into a long-term relationship with her rapist and producing six children.»
Should we reject modern Republics, a.k.a. modern Democracies, because of this? Do such crimes invalidate this form of government, created by the U.S. Founding Fathers?
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by oswaldkelso »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/famed-mit ... ly-willing

He supports the (pro-War) Democratic Party, and the (pro-poverty, pro-population reduction and control, and pro-ecological lies) Green Party. So, he cannot truly be an "ethical" person.

Not true: He supports Bernie Saunders and the Green party. If you actually took the time to read their policies I don't think you can say they are pro-poverty. In fact quite the reverse. . https://www.gp.org/ten_key_values_2016 what you seem to call pro-ecological lies are widely regarded as Scientific facts.
He created the FSF while working at the private, elitist MIT. A well-known institution of the US establishment, which receives money from DARPA, and which develops Artificial Intelligence - that well-informed persons know it's mainly going to be used on surveillance projects.
I suggest YOU remove all MIT and BSD licenced software from your computers and phones because of their involvement with DARPA.
Also, people who are politically well-informed know there is a clear agenda, from the part of the Western establishment, to sexualize children: http://endoftheamericandream.com/archiv ... ic-schools + https://www.infowars.com/salon-pushes-p ... thy-again/
You must be seriously in full blown troll mode if you rely on a infowars link as what politically well informed is. Utterly shameful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoWars
Taking all this into account, and also noticing how the biggest user of Free Software is the (private) establishment itself, in the form of the exact companies that are known to be surveilling everyone (Facebook, Google, Amazon)... Everything fits, or adds up.

This being said,

And, although I really don't like what I've learned about the creator of this Free Software movement...

Creations are one thing, and their creators another.

Am I going to go back to (the still horrible, after all this years) Microsoft Windows because of this? Or, does all of this invalidate the superior performance and all the other great qualities of Free Software, in itself?

Like,
The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0). Do you think Microsoft doesn't use free Software?
Will I stop using helicopters and jet aircraft, because they were Nazi inventions? Or, will I refuse to ride on Mercedes-Benz or Volkswagen cars, because of their Nazi ties?
More nonsensical drivel.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

kedaha wrote: However, Debian already provides an alternative to such centralization: see wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox, whereby all data gets stored on your own personal cloud server.
pylkko wrote: I am aware of the existing DIY cloud platforms (owncloud, nextcloud etc), and even of things like zeta https://zetaglobal.com/zeta-private-data-cloud/ which at least claim to use your data responsibly. But what I meant with that comment was more that new people, i.e people that are aged 15, and the generations to come after them, it seems that they are more and more int using cloud computing` ...
Thanks, pylkko for your clarification, which I'd like to discuss further but under a separate topic at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=143748 rather than in connection with Richard Stallman's resignation from his positions at the FSF & MIT.
DebianStable

$ vrms

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

pylkko

#12 Post by pylkko »

Wow, that last link really surprises me in how freaking low the quality of a lot of journalism is!

I mean I know that people can reinterpret things in ways where the meaning slightly changes, but when the professionals are so sloppy that it happens every single time!

But I hardly believe that RMS resigned because of this low quality press. Either he has personal obsessions and took a excessive measure, or they essentially fired him (forced in to resign) because of the scandal.

Danielsan

#13 Post by Danielsan »

There are some topics that you had better to not dealing with at all... He made such favor to all his enemies, he practically buried his tomb by himself...

kedaha

#14 Post by kedaha »

Danielsan wrote:There are some topics that you had better to not dealing with at all... He made such favor to all his enemies, he practically buried his tomb by himself...
Absolutely.
By the way, there's some interesting discussion of the subject over at linuxquestions.org.
DebianStable

$ vrms

jarlaxl

#15 Post by jarlaxl »

Danielsan wrote:There are some topics that you had better to not dealing with at all... He made such favor to all his enemies, he practically buried his tomb by himself...
Well why? So someone lost his head because an unsatisfied 18yo mechanical engineer was irritated (assaulted) that he was scratching and smelling his toes during lectures or he had a mattress in his office. Very serious reasons honestly, 70 years ago in Soviet Union. i dont know was it mechanicaly engineered or reverse or even got paid or even if she/its real person? Does she/it have any proofs (of not being assaulted by lets say M$ or even Donald Trump?) Her/its text looooks soooo innocent.
kedaha wrote: Absolutely.
By the way, there's some interesting discussion of the subject over at linuxquestions.org.
Not any more... discussion closed for...technical reasons

In any case its sad that a great supporter of free speech and freedom in general was one more time oppressed and suppressed probably in context of consequences for the FSF. But thats how you do it in modern times. Sexual crimes for people we dont like. remember the swedish air hostess who lost her virginity from the wikileaks founder? A simple strategy take out on enemies by touching the judaistic ethos of the mob.
jL Compromises; - one life (?), one moment (?); -one word 10^3 pics -world of words; meanings collapse;
The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown

millpond

#16 Post by millpond »

Stallman is brilliant as an aspie, but often myopic on other issues, such as being a demonrat. But at least he is sick of some of the social marxist gibberish (anti-social and fascist).

Perhaps by not veering toooo far from poliical corrrectness is his main way of getting too marginalized. But the 'me too' BS pushed him over the edge.

He is one of the 'great' figures of the 20th century. Not so much in the 21st. It seems his creative talent was spent on EMACS. Hurd was a long, on going embarassment.

pylkko

Re: Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

#17 Post by pylkko »

Well, he almost single handedly wrote one of the most used piece of software ever, gcc, which ultimately made linux possible.

There has been a lot of uncertainty if he will be allowed to continue to be head of GNU. I think he first annouced that he would continue despite being released from FSF, but then that was taken back.

Personally, I think this is pretty insane and unreasonable. But that's life

jarlaxl

#18 Post by jarlaxl »

millpond wrote: -brilliant aspie,
-myopic,
-demonrat
-at least sick
-gibberish
-far from political corrrectness
-too marginalized
-'great' figures of the 20th century
-Not so much in the 21st.
-creative talent spent
-embarassment.
so much hate...?
jL Compromises; - one life (?), one moment (?); -one word 10^3 pics -world of words; meanings collapse;
The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

jarlaxl wrote:[... Sexual crimes for people we dont like. remember the swedish air hostess who lost her virginity from the wikileaks founder? ...
So you subscribe to a different justice system than most people, guilty until proven innocent. That has not been to trial and was staunchly denied. Many believe it was a ruse to get Assange to a country with extradition agreements with the US so they could throw him over the coals there.

This topic should be locked if that is the quality of comment it attracts.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

Re: Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

#20 Post by Deb-fan »

Can't help but admire and respect RMS. No matter what he gets associated with or gets forcefully disassociated with the guy is a historical figure. Bit hazy on the history of FOSS atm(been out of loop and just can't remember a bunch of junk I'd learned on the topic.) Regardless he played a major role.

Same time, if someone watches some of the vids of him at conferences or etc. Can definitely see where=why serious FOSS and tech organizations would disavow him as their spokesman. Still wishing the guy well.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *