Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

TPM error with Live Testing ISO

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Why

TPM error with Live Testing ISO

#1 Post by Why »

I have an ASUS G752vs laptop running Linux Mint LMDE 3 and Windows 10. I'm thinking of replacing LMDE with Debian 10 Testing. Therefore, today I downloaded and created three Debian Live Testing USB sticks using the following ISOs:

debian-live-testing-amd64-xfce.iso
debian-live-testing-amd64-cinnamon.iso
debian-live-testing-amd64-gnome.iso

Unfortunately, I receive the following error messages with all three:

After pressing "Debian GNU/Linus Live (kernel 5.2.0-2-amd64)" I see:
error: Unknown TPM error.
error: Unknown TPM error.
error: You need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue...

I'm then returned to the main screen

If I press Debian Live with Localisation Support
I see a full screen of "error: Unknown TPM error.", followed by "Press any key to continue..."

I'm then sent to a screen to choose my language with GNU GRUB version 2.04-3 at the top.

After choosing English, I receive the first set of error messages noted above.

To trouble shoot, I have done the following:

1. Tested the live testing USBs in an older desktop computer without TPM ... They work fine.

2. Created a USB with debian-live-10.1.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso ... It works fine on my laptop.

3. I thought maybe it was a kernel issue. So I created a live USB with Manjaro xfce 18.1.0 (which has kernel 5.2.11). It ran without any issue on my laptop.

So in summary, the only combination that didn't work was the Debian testing with my Laptop.

Any ideas why the live testing ISOs is throwing the TPM error and is there anything that I can to do to resolve the issue?

P.S. I have disabled secured boot in the bios and that didn't resolve the issue. The laptop also does not have the option to disable TPM in the bios as it is running Intel's TPM 2.0 version 11.0.2 1003.

Thanks,
Richard

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TPM error with Live Testing ISO

#2 Post by p.H »

Looks like a GRUB issue. TPM support was added to GRUB in testing recently. See https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... sured-Boot for some information.

Can the laptop boot in BIOS/legacy mode ?

Why

#3 Post by Why »

A GRUB issue makes sense. Although I'm surprised that I didn't run into the same issue with Manjaro as they also use GRUB 2.04. I've read more on this, but unfortunately I can not find anything that helps resolve this issue.

The laptop cannot boot in BIOS/legacy mode.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

This is testing, not stable (and by the way NOT Debian 10). You do not have to solve the issue. Just submit the issue to the Debian developpers.

Why

#5 Post by Why »

Thank you p.H, I've reported the issue to the Debian developers.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

Where did you send the report ? I'd like to follow the issue.

Why

#7 Post by Why »

p.H wrote:Where did you send the report ? I'd like to follow the issue.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=940911

Why

#8 Post by Why »

I haven't received any response and many of the bugs on the GRUB page ( https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... ckage=grub ) are over 10 years old.

I would like to be able to use Debian Testing, however until this matter gets resolved, I'm in a holding pattern.

Can anyone confirm that I filed the bug in the right place or provide an alternative where I should file it?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

Why wrote:Can anyone confirm that I filed the bug in the right place
I think so.
Why wrote:I would like to be able to use Debian Testing
Note that the Debian testing installer is not intended to install Debian testing but to test the installer.
If you want to install Debian testing, you can install a Debian stable base system and upgrade to testing.
Or you can boot the Debian testing installer with a GRUB instance which does not show the error, such as the one from Debian stable or LMDE.
Or you can do the installation on another machine which does not show the error.

However, if you manage to install Debian testing, it is likely that its GRUB will suffer from the same problem.