Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

haven't been here in a long time...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
wino

haven't been here in a long time...

#1 Post by wino »

i do not remember my old name so i had to create another new account. still running debian on an old mac. I am thinking of maybe trying to install 10 but 9 works nicely although slow due to minimal ram. it looks like there are a new froups of mods and admins etc. True? what happened to the other guys? left or get the boot.
i am looking at lxqt, lxde and xfce. i am currently running lxde on the old machine. any comments re: these 3 desktop/window managers on debian10? I also read that lxqt was kind of squeaked in at final stable so that did not seem to imply a really nice experience. Thank you in advance.

wino

Re: haven't been here in a long time...

#2 Post by wino »

wow this place is dead but definitely better than it used to be with some of the nasty bashing people are no longer here. one of the reasons i left. now - just no activity. phew

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

I have used LxQT successfully for some time.

Either, you can install the larger meta-package, lxqt or, the smaller meta-package, lxqt-core, OR you can just install the various packages separately.

Manjaro Linux used to provide a useful list of necessary packages and optional packages but they have recently obsoleted that - so you can't see it anymore.

The best lead now is probably at https://forum.lxqt.org/t/lxqt-minimal-i ... ion/748/19 Scroll down to the post by agaida

wino

#4 Post by wino »

thanks i will ry the lxqt then.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

Starting from a netinstall I have used this as a basis for some time https://www.maketecheasier.com/build-li ... end-laptop

Ok It is about LXDE but I have used it for LxQT

Many parts of it are now out of date so there needs to be some ad-libbing.

wino

#6 Post by wino »

Thank you - will go with the full lxqt debian. i will remove apps i do not need and add what i want as usual.