Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Debian 10 working well with new Intel 8th generation hw?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pedronovaes

Is Debian 10 working well with new Intel 8th generation hw?

#1 Post by pedronovaes »

HI,

I would like to know if Debian 10 is working well with the new Intel 8th generation of hardware. I make this question because I tried to install Debian 9 on Dell Inspiron 5482 and I had many crashes like: video card when the system is starting, wireless driver, etc.

Thanks.

stevepusser

Re: Is Debian 10 working well with new Intel 8th generation

#3 Post by stevepusser »

pedronovaes wrote:HI,

I would like to know if Debian 10 is working well with the new Intel 8th generation of hardware. I make this question because I tried to install Debian 9 on Dell Inspiron 5482 and I had many crashes like: video card when the system is starting, wireless driver, etc.

Thanks.
Yes, that was well-known with that 2018 hardware on 2016 Stretch, but it could be solved with updates from stretch-backports.

Buster supports it well, but you'll also need non-free firmware to get it to work.
MX Linux packager and developer

pedronovaes

#4 Post by pedronovaes »

stevepusser wrote:
pedronovaes wrote:HI,

Thanks.
Yes, that was well-known with that 2018 hardware on 2016 Stretch, but it could be solved with updates from stretch-backports.

Buster supports it well, but you'll also need non-free firmware to get it to work.
Thank you so much for your answer.

One more question, how can I install non-free firmware?

pedronovaes

#6 Post by pedronovaes »

If I append "contrib non-free" in my source list instead of using this link, can I get non-free firmware to wifi and other stuff?

KBD47

#7 Post by KBD47 »

pedronovaes wrote:
If I append "contrib non-free" in my source list instead of using this link, can I get non-free firmware to wifi and other stuff?
Yes. Those are just if you want to install with the firmware available.