Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Missing buttons on taskbar KDE

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
vinoman

Missing buttons on taskbar KDE

#1 Post by vinoman »

I've just booted up and all the buttons are gone on my toolbar. Have seen this happen before. I have Debian 10 testing installed with Gnome and KDE, but I like KDE more.
All that's there is KDE menu icon in left corner and the time in the right corner, all the rest is gone. Rebooted but they didn't come back. And the mouse right click shows nothing on desktop. How do I get it back to the way it was?

L_V

Re: Missing buttons on taskbar KDE

#2 Post by L_V »

First check if you have kwin-wayland or kwin-x11 and breeze-icon-theme installed.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

What do you mean by "Debian 10 testing"? Ain't no such animal.
MX Linux packager and developer

vinoman

#4 Post by vinoman »

stevepusser wrote:What do you mean by "Debian 10 testing"? Ain't no such animal.
I meant Debian testing...

vinoman

#5 Post by vinoman »

L_V wrote:First check if you have kwin-wayland or kwin-x11 and breeze-icon-theme installed.
Will check later today. It's been working fine for a few weeks. On this morning bootup they disappeared.

vinoman

#6 Post by vinoman »

vinoman wrote:
L_V wrote:First check if you have kwin-wayland or kwin-x11 and breeze-icon-theme installed.
Will check later today. It's been working fine for a few weeks. On this morning bootup they disappeared.
installed kwin-wayland and had kwin-x11 and breeze icon theme installed... rebooted but still no icons and no right click functions.

Will have to log out and go back to Gnome for now.

L_V

#7 Post by L_V »

You are currently testing Debian Bullseye (=testing), and not Debian 10 which is Buster.
You probably have some packages version mismatches.
You should then track bug reports, or wait few days for an update.
You can also create a new test user account to check if you also have this problem in a clean user profile.

peer

#8 Post by peer »

I have exactly the same problem with debian testing KDE

vinoman

#9 Post by vinoman »

Just ran updates in gnome and after reboot.... Black screen! just a cursor and white dash in upper left corner. Force shutdown and tried to log into KDE and just a black screen. Looks like the updates wrecked Debian testing. What to do?

As much as others says Debian testing is quite stable, I guess not. :(

peer

#10 Post by peer »

vinoman wrote:I've just booted up and all the buttons are gone on my toolbar. Have seen this happen before. I have Debian 10 testing installed with Gnome and KDE, but I like KDE more.
All that's there is KDE menu icon in left corner and the time in the right corner, all the rest is gone. Rebooted but they didn't come back. And the mouse right click shows nothing on desktop. How do I get it back to the way it was?
I did have exactly the same problem. After updating today the icons are back again and right click behaviour is working again also.

vinoman

#11 Post by vinoman »

Installed Debian 10 stable and all is well. :)