Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED: USB Missing from machine during installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
TheSheepGuy

SOLVED: USB Missing from machine during installation

#1 Post by TheSheepGuy »

SOLUTION: Update BIOS firmware. Apparently Ryzen 2 and 3 processors have issues with outdated firmware.

I've had the same issue on a fork of Arch called Manjaro and posted to their forums without any solution. For brevity, I'm not gonna repeat what I've written there.

To sum up: I boot the computer from the USB - that is, the USB is the installation medium (yes, I have selected the network install and used Rufus in DD mode) - select any of the two install options, graphical or not, and get stuck on the detecting CD-ROM part. I have found out that this is because of the USB disappearing from the machine (I found this out by opening the terminal at this point, typing the command "blkid" and only seeing my target hard drive and no USB), and no unplugging and replugging helped so far (I have tried USB 3 and 2 ports, front and back of the desktop). This coincides with the Manjaro installation where it gets stuck on "device did not show up after 30 seconds", it too cannot find the USB during the installation. My motherboard can of course, after all, I started the installation somehow.

My computer specifications are:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (4 core @ 3.5 GHz)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380X
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR4
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
The only thing I haven't tried is using another USB stick, but I managed to install Windows fine a few months ago with it.
Last edited by TheSheepGuy on 2019-10-10 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

TheSheepGuy

Re: USB Missing from machine during installation

#2 Post by TheSheepGuy »

The issue definitely is that it can't find the USB even installing. I've tried the trucks that have been posted before, plugging it in to a USB 3, or 2 port, using a USB hub, fiddling with BIOS UEFI settings (Legacy USB Support, XHCI hand-off, and emulating the stick it as a HDD or a CD-ROM). Lastly, I've used a different USB stick, the over I was using and will be using from here on out is a USB 3 32 GB stick, the other I've briefly tried out is a USB 2 2 GB stick.

I have so far tried this in Manjaro, Debian, and Ubuntu, all with the same error, and I'm literally out of ideas to even lookup now.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Are other USB devices (keyboard, mouse...) detected ?
If no, what is the output of "lspci -k" ?
If yes, what is the output of lsusb ?
Anything relevant to USB in the kernel logs (dmesg) ?

TheSheepGuy

#4 Post by TheSheepGuy »

Now I can't even get to the installer :P Yes, it recognises my other peripherals, but now I'm getting stuck on this, this same output is returned every like half minute or so.

TheSheepGuy

#5 Post by TheSheepGuy »

SOLUTION: Update BIOS firmware. Apparently Ryzen 2 and 3 processors have issues with outdated firmware.