Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How install Mesa drivers on Debian 10 from backports.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
marietto

How install Mesa drivers on Debian 10 from backports.

#1 Post by marietto »

Hello to everyone.

I'm running Debian 10 on a cpu I9-9900k with a mobo gigabyte aorus pro (that has an intel graphic chipset integrated). As primary graphic card I have the nvidia RTX 2080 ti. I have two monitors. I want to have the monitor A that works with the nvidia graphic card and the monitor B with the intel integrated chipset. The problem is that only the monitor A is working now. The monitor B is turned off. At the beginning,when I'd installed Debian buster,it ran with the 4.19 kernel,but I have installed an upgraded kernel (5.3.2) since the old one didn't support the intel graphic chipset of my mobo. Someone helped me,allowing me to use his repo. The instructions to add that repo and its key for the Buster installation are written below. The problem is that it seems that they are not enough. Infact he says that my Intel GPU may requires a backport of Mesa. This is because I'm here. I would like to know how to install the required mesa drivers to make work my intel graphic chipset. Thanks.

Code: Select all

echo  'deb  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/new-hardware-support-buster/Debian_10/  /' >  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser:new-hardware-support-buster.list

rm  -rf Release.key && wget -nv  https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:new-hardware-support-buster/Debian_10/Release.key  -O Release.key && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm  -rf Release.key

stevepusser

Re: How install Mesa drivers on Debian 10 from backports.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I'll take a look at backporting them in my repo. Sid currently has Mesa 19.2.1, testing has 19.1.6. On the Ubuntu release where it does pick up your Intel card, what version of libgl1-mesa-dri is installed?

Another problem with new Intel hardware is that it may need firmware that still hasn't made its way into even Debian's
latest firmware-misc-nonfree package in my repo (which you should have installed). One trick is to search the boot kernel messages for any firmware error messages for the graphic driver:

dmesg | grep -i firmware
A problem with upgrading Mesa is that that will then break va-api hardware accelerated video playback for whatever applications you had it working for. The fix is for me to then rebuild ffmpeg and the affected players, such as vlc, kodi, mpv, handbrake, etc., in that same repo against the newer Mesa, but you'll have to give me some time for that--doing the same for MX Linux keeps me pretty busy already.
MX Linux packager and developer

marietto

#3 Post by marietto »

can you get the necessary files on ubuntu ? :P

On Ubuntu :

ziomario-Z390-AORUS-PRO:/home/ziomario# dmesg | grep -i firmware
[ 1.785973] [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)

ziomario-Z390-AORUS-PRO:/# apt reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
0 aggiornati, 0 installati, 2 reinstallati, 0 da rimuovere e 0 non aggiornati.
È necessario scaricare 0 B/14,0 MB di archivi.
Dopo quest'operazione, verranno occupati 0 B di spazio su disco.
Continuare? [S/n] s
(Lettura del database... 252423 file e directory attualmente installati.)
Preparativi per estrarre .../libgl1-mesa-dri_19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1_amd64.deb...
Estrazione di libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1) su (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1)...
Preparativi per estrarre .../libgl1-mesa-dri_19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1_i386.deb...
Estrazione di libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1) su (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1)...
Configurazione di libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1)...
Configurazione di libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 (19.0.8-0ubuntu0~19.04.1)...

marietto

#4 Post by marietto »

someone suggested :

Update your system to Debian Sid, it has Mesa 19.2.1-1 and you can use the Oibaf ppa eon version for the latest Mesa.

is this a good idea ?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I would only recommend Sid to experienced Debian users.

As for using a PPA on Debian, usually it's a very bad idea. Sometime it works, sometime it infects your system with problems that you'll only get out by a complete reinstall. https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

This "someone" isn't doing you any favors.

I actually meant for you to grep dmsg for firmware errors on Debian, since that's where the problem is.

Ubuntu does have Mesa 19.08 working with your hardware, so backporting testing's 19.1 should be recent enough.

Did you have firmware-misc-nonfree installed on Debian? I think I asked this before, but can't recall if you answered.

marietto

#6 Post by marietto »

I suspected that and I did not upgrade to sid.

root@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# apt install firmware-misc-nonfree
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
I seguenti pacchetti sono stati installati automaticamente e non sono più richiesti:
libmwaw-0.3-3 libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer
Usare "apt autoremove" per rimuoverli.
I seguenti pacchetti saranno RIMOSSI:
firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree
I seguenti pacchetti saranno RETROCESSI:
firmware-misc-nonfree
0 aggiornati, 0 installati, 1 retrocessi, 2 da rimuovere e 155 non aggiornati.
È necessario scaricare 3.338 kB di archivi.
Dopo quest'operazione, verranno liberati 3.004 kB di spazio su disco.
Continuare? [S/n]

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#7 Post by Bloom »

What does

lsb_release -a
say?

marietto

#8 Post by marietto »

root@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#9 Post by Bloom »

So this is Buster (current new stable version) and not Sid.
Can you give us the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

The OP has two incompatible paths ongoing.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143865

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Bloom wrote:So this is Buster (current new stable version) and not Sid.
Can you give us the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list?
The last I knew, they had added my OBS repo to get the lastest 5.3.2 kernel, firmware, and Nvidia-driver backported to Buster, so don't get put off by that in their sources. My repo doesn't make any distinction between free, contrib, or non-free packages.

If I do add Mesa 19.1 from Bullseye to that repo, that will also show up as an automatic upgrade. I have test backporting that in a Buster pbuilder chroot first on my TODO list...

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

I've loaded the sources for Mesa 19.1.6 into my repo, along with its build-depends that will have to finish first. The big one of those is the llvm-8-toolchain, which will take hours and hours on the OBS. And llvm-8 is already in debian-backports for anyone interested in "trying this at home."

marietto

#13 Post by marietto »

give the commands that I should do. Anyway I've been able to configured everything correctly on ubuntu 19.04. now i have a working passthrough system. but let's go ahead on debian.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Didn't I already post the commands on your Reddit thread?

marietto

#15 Post by marietto »

where ?

marietto

#16 Post by marietto »

root@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# rm -rf Release.key && wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... elease.key -O Release.key && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm -rf Release.key

ERRORE: il certificato di "download.opensuse.org" non è fidato.
ERRORE: il certificato di "download.opensuse.org" non ha un emittente conosciuto.
Il proprietario del certificato non corrisponde al nome dell'host "download.opensuse.org".

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

I can not reproduce your problem--maybe your ISP is blocking the OBS for some reason?

root@MSI-GP63:~# rm  -rf Release.key && wget -nv  https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:new-hardware-support-buster/Debian_10/Release.key  -O Release.key && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm  -rf Release.key

2019-10-22 19:45:45 URL:https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/new-hardware-support-buster/Debian_10/Release.key [1109/1109] -> "Release.key" [1]

OK
However, I just upgraded my install to a Debian 10 base today, so can also test-drive those updated packages, though I have the Nvidia 435.21 drivers already...

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

Sorry for bumping this, but since is really the thread I want to make, there's no point doing it again.

Steve, is it safe to attempt to upgrade the drivers on Buster? Do I just add your repo + key and it shows up as an automatic upgrade? I would like to attempt to upgrade the drivers to solve my gpu problem before I go spending more money on hardware.