Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

unable to mount anything

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
desperado

unable to mount anything

#1 Post by desperado »

Hi,
Everything worked fine with Stretch for about a year. After the last update I'm not able to mount anything - USB stick, external disk, another internal disk. Password is not recognized if I try to open root console, apper and discover don't even ask for authorization - I'm not allowed to do anything. Googled around for a couple of weeks and read the forums, seems to be something to do with policy kit and udisks, about 1/3 of the cases like me just reinstalled. I'm a simple, stupid user, not good in code, is this really the only solution? Please, help.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: unable to mount anything

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Do you use sudo?

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Or su?

Code: Select all

su -
The root password can be reset fairly easily even if the remaining users do not have elevated permissions, ask the interweb how.
deadbang

desperado

#3 Post by desperado »

I can do sudo -i. The password is recognized, but there is no prompt to mount, just 'no authority'. I followed advice from some other threads, seems there is no authentication agent running, but sysmonitor shows kde authentication agent 1. Not recognized?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

desperado wrote:there is no prompt to mount, just 'no authority'.
How exactly are you trying to mount the devices? Have you checked the systemd journal for any error messages?
deadbang