Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can't define default browser after Buster upgrade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kmchen

can't define default browser after Buster upgrade

#1 Post by kmchen »

Hi,

I recently did a complete Debian Buster reinstall over an old Strech install that had been upgraded since Sarge untill now.

The /home partition has not been touched during that reinstall and remains with old users data.

Now many problems happen with file associations.

"Open with Kview" before "Open with" appears in right clic menu on .png images but Kview doesn't exists anymore in Buster and clicking on those files rises error:

Code: Select all

KDEInit can't launch « kview »:
Cannot load library libkdeinit5_kview
Another bug is that I defined firefox as default browser in system default settings AND in thunderbird "network.protocol-handler.app.http" advanced settings but the system still opens links with chrome.

Any help greatly appreciated

L_V

Re: can't define default browser after Buster upgrade

#2 Post by L_V »

What report this ?

xdg-mime query default text/html

echo $BROWSER
sarge => jessie => stretch => buster ...
If you still use a very old user profile, it's really time to think about creating a brand new one.
+ your system is probably full of junk since sarge..... => faster to make a clean install

kmchen

#3 Post by kmchen »

kmc@kmcs:~$ xdg-mime query default text/html
kfmclient_html.desktop
kmc@kmcs:~$ echo $BROWSER

kmc@kmcs:~$
What do you mean by "clean install" I did a complete new buster system install.

Do you mean also creating a new user and copying all my datas, loosing hundreds of KDE and environments settings since Sarge (perhaps older, I don't remember prehistoric names) ? Debian doesn't insure settings upgrade ?
Last edited by kmchen on 2019-10-14 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

L_V wrote:

echo $BROWSER
Debian uses the alternatives system to define the default browser so BROWSER should be unset in a stock system.

@OP: check

ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
And also ~/.config/mimeapps.list

Xfce uses exo-preferred-applications to set the default browser.
deadbang

kmchen

#5 Post by kmchen »

Finaly my default browser settings were taken in account. I don't know how (disconect/reconect probably ?)

And I solved the problem of bad file associations by editing the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, deleting bad lines in "Removed associations" section of that file.

Finally, editing mimeapps.list is more easy and efficient than using the silly Fille associations of system settings.

Hope this will help others that will encounter problems with file associations after Buster migration.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

kmchen wrote:Do you mean also creating a new user and copying all my datas, loosing hundreds of KDE and environments settings since Sarge (perhaps older, I don't remember prehistoric names) ? Debian doesn't insure settings upgrade ?
Definitively yes ! Recommended. Mixing KDE3/4/5 settings over the time in a same profile is a very bad idea.
It is not a question of "Debian" upgrade, but KDE upgrades.
Many many things have changed since KDE3, and if you don't make some cleaning sometimes, be ready for next surprise.
For info kfmclient_html.desktop is from Konqueror package.

+ in KDE5, your mime setting / file association should be configurable here:

kcmshell5 filetypes componentchooser