Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

edits to spell check

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
rayandrews

edits to spell check

#1 Post by rayandrews »

Where does one offer additions or corrections to spell checkers? I notice missing words quite often.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: edits to spell check

#2 Post by arochester »

Which spell checkers?

Examples of words?

rayandrews

#3 Post by rayandrews »

Spell check in any app that has it. Thunderbird for example. As I understand it, the dictionaries are separate and used by many apps as needed. "Asymptote" is missing, for example.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Thunderbird dictionary is supplied by hunspell (or myspell). I just checked mine and "asymptote" is included and spelt correctly. For a word which is not included, a wavy red line appears and you should be able to right-click on it and select "Add To Dictionary".

Check if hunspell is installed for your locale (eg. I have hunspell-en-au, hunspell-en-gb, hunspell-en-us plus libhunspell )

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep hunspell
There are dozens of location-specific hunspell packages but you only need the ones for your own language and locale.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/hunspell-dictionary
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

rayandrews

#5 Post by rayandrews »

Thanks. I have half a dozen 'aspell' or 'hunspell' variations here. How do we know which ones are active? Anyway, no 'asymptote' here. I know I can add words, but what I'd like to know is how one gets in touch with whoever it is that maintains these dictionaries since I find missing words quite often. Most of them are scientific or tech so easy to miss.