Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Some people still actually work , even with a handicap

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GarryRicketson

Some people still actually work , even with a handicap

#1 Post by GarryRicketson »

Here in Mexico, we don't have the charity , and welfare systems like in the US, and often you will see handicapped people in the street, asking for help, but this one chooses to work. All though getting out there on the street every day, and asking for hand outs is a form of work as well, not like in the US where they deliver your welfare check to the mailbox.
Any way, wanted to share it:
https://web.facebook.com/19068996108282 ... 770305131/

vbrummond

Re: Some people still actually work , even with a handicap

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Choosing to work and be a productive member of society despite a handicap is admirable. Though my take is a modern day society shouldn't let anyone suffer needlessly. Even if that means dropping off a check into their mailbox.

Just so it's known, I work with my hands, and have a career. So I would be one of the ones taking up the slack.
Always on Debian Testing

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I wanted to try a experiment here, since many people probably don't want to follow a link to facebook, and also the video could not be downloaded.
"Byzanz" worked on this, and I was able to make a gif of it :

xjordix

#4 Post by xjordix »

One of the nice things about technology is it makes it possible/easier for some people with handicaps to continue working, which is important for the pride of said people.

millpond

#5 Post by millpond »

Often its not a matter of choice.

Of even more significance is even if the jobs are available in the first place. And if the owners are likely to take on liability issues in case of injury.

Here, there are some government 'incentives' to hire the handicapped, and it may even be a minority requirement in some industries, but I will assume that the bosses keep these folk to a minimum. Here companies must pay a portion of expenses for any additional disabilities acquired from injuries on the job. Good advice for these folk would be 'learn to code' from home- but the chances of marketing something successful these days is minimal, especially with the competition so fierce. And coding jobs can be had for pennies on the $USD from job shopped places like India these days.

Disability benefits are usually barely enough, or even below that required for survival. Work is often essential just to pay the rent, assuming it can even be found. The much touted 'section 8 housing' normally has long waiting lists, even for indigent families. Though it does appear that certain immigrant classes are fast-tracked in certain areas.

ComputerBob

#6 Post by ComputerBob »

I really don't "get" the point of this thread. Someone thinks that disabled people are cheating someone? Someone wants to brag that they're disabled, but they still work? I don't get it.

My first stroke, 12 years ago, was certainly not a choice. Nor was my 2nd stroke, almost 2 years ago. That one put me in the hospital for a whole month, and left my left side completely "disconnected" from my brtain for nearly 6 months of really tough rehab.
Now I can barely walk, remember things, or do hundreds of other tasks that used to be automatic. For example, replacing the flapper valve in my toilet used to be a 3-minute job. Now it is a 25-minute job. I used to make $110/hour as a computer consultant to big corporations. Now, I've made about $25 in the past 2 years. Thank God for my wife, who has continued to work for pay to support us, and our savings, collected over the past 44 years of marriage.

Disability? I don't qualify, because my 2 strokes caused me to "fall between the cracks" of receiving any SSI or other disability payments.

So, who wants to hire me?
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ComputerBob wrote:I really don't "get" the point of this thread. Someone thinks that disabled people are cheating someone? Someone wants to brag that they're disabled, but they still work? I don't get it.
Opponents of the welfare state[1] like to exaggerate the proportion of fraudulent claimants to aid their case. Of course the actual percentage is very small and in my country (the UK) it has always been true that the benefits bill would be much greater if everybody received exactly what they were entitled to.
ComputerBob wrote:Disability? I don't qualify, because my 2 strokes caused me to "fall between the cracks" of receiving any SSI or other disability payments.
That is outrageous. Stay strong d00d.

[1] So called because it is well fair.
deadbang

ComputerBob

#8 Post by ComputerBob »

Thanks, Hoas,
I'm doing much better than I was a year ago, but much worse than I was 2 years ago, two days before Christmas. On a side note, if you're gonna have a stroke, try to schedule it for ANY time, other than 2 days before Christmas. All the people who can really help you are gone on vacation for 2 weeks at that time. ;)
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

^Gawds that bytes.

Point of this thread was that Garry has a handicap grand daughter and I'd said something tongue in cheek in another thread trying to defuse some tensions between Garry and another forum person. Something along the lines of "arguing on an internet forum, is like competing in the special olympics. Wasn't aimed at his grand daughter but that's how it got construed.

Ah, keep your head up ComputerBob. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#10 Post by arochester »

Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc.
- Forum guidelines - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653