Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fguy

unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

#1 Post by fguy »

Greetings

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop that came preloaded with Windows 10. It does not have a CD/DVD drive so I created a bootable USB stick from the Debian 10.1 netinst iso file.

When I try to boot from the USB, I immediately get a message in text mode that starts out - Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found. I checked the \efi\boot directory on the stick, there was only bootx64.efi and grubx64.ef1.

I tried disabling secure boot in the BIOS setup, but that made no difference.

I tried renaming the grubx64.efi file to mmx64.efi according to a similar situation for Ubuntu that I found. At least that got me to the start screen for the installer, But then I got a message:
error: /install.amd/vmlinuz has an invalid signature
error: you need to load the kernel first

So I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

neuraleskimo

Re: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

#2 Post by neuraleskimo »

I don’t have any special knowledge here, but just to cover the basics... Did you verify the checksum on the ISO after downloading?

fguy

#3 Post by fguy »

neuraleskimo wrote:I don’t have any special knowledge here, but just to cover the basics... Did you verify the checksum on the ISO after downloading?
No I didn't. So I downloaded another netinst file and verified the checksum using sha256sum, and it checked out. I then re-burned the image onto the USB stick and tried again to boot from it. Same problem.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I haven't come across this error before but I would try the Live-Cd version to see if that boots on your machine, I have an Inspiron 15-3552 which has no problem booting any image I write to usb sticks so it might be a change in the UEFI firmware that has caused this. I also have a Latitude E5470 that boots without issue from usb.

I always run a Live version before any installation (where available) as it usually gives me an indication as to whether the machine is ok to run the OS. Also, if the Live version works ok you can usually install from the same session.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

fguy wrote:I created a bootable USB stick from the Debian 10.1 netinst iso file
How, exactly? There are *many* methods and some of them don't work with Debian ISO images.
deadbang

fguy

#6 Post by fguy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
fguy wrote:I created a bootable USB stick from the Debian 10.1 netinst iso file
How, exactly? There are *many* methods and some of them don't work with Debian ISO images.
I used Startup Disk Creator on a Ubuntu machine. There's only two settings, Source image and destination device, so there's not much chance to go wrong.

fguy

#7 Post by fguy »

Update

I should mention that at one point I was able to boot from the USB, but I had to abort the install due to other problems. This leads me to believe that something happened on my SSD drive. I can tell you that it has no EFI\boot directory or partition.

I also had an identical experience trying to install Ubuntu.

neuraleskimo

#8 Post by neuraleskimo »

fguy wrote:Update

I should mention that at one point I was able to boot from the USB, but I had to abort the install due to other problems. This leads me to believe that something happened on my SSD drive. I can tell you that it has no EFI\boot directory or partition.

I also had an identical experience trying to install Ubuntu.
In that case, are you certain that you are actually booting from USB? (I am not trying to be insulting. I have made similar mistakes myself.) On my Dell workstations (at work so I can't look and check right now), I recall that I must enter the UEFI config and promote the USB ahead of the SSD every time I want to boot off of a USB drive.

BTW, HOAS beat me to the question of how to make a bootable USB drive. The Ubuntu thingy should work, but I like to:

Code: Select all

sudo cp image.iso /dev/sdx && sudo sync
where sdx is the device for your USB drive. This will also work for Ubuntu ISOs.

fguy

#9 Post by fguy »

neuraleskimo wrote: In that case, are you certain that you are actually booting from USB? ...
I'm certain. When I remove the USB stick it boots into a perfectly good installation of Windows 10, Windows, so I must be booting from USB when I get the error.

As I mentioned, I had the same problem with Ubuntu. I started a thread at Ubuntu Forums trying to solve the problem in Ubuntu

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2429543

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

fguy wrote:This leads me to believe that something happened on my SSD drive. I can tell you that it has no EFI\boot directory or partition.
fguy wrote:When I remove the USB stick it boots into a perfectly good installation of Windows 10
Windows boots without an EFI partition, huh ?

fguy

Resolved Re: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not f

#11 Post by fguy »

I was mistaken about there being no EFI partition

Anyways, this problem is now resolved.

Dai_trying

#12 Post by Dai_trying »

Could you let us know how you resolved this issue as it might be useful to other users with the same problem.

fguy

#13 Post by fguy »

I'm not exactly sure what happened. I managed to solve the problem in Ubuntu, and suddenly things started to work in Debian. Here is my thread in the Ubuntu forums. Post number 13 is important. I imagine a similar solution would work in Debian.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2429543

Dai_trying

#14 Post by Dai_trying »

It looks like you were trying to boot using ubuntu, and not your usb drive as Debian has no mmx64.efi in its images (as far as I have seen) so the solution is probably to make sure you are actually booting from the correct device, but so long as it's working for you now all is good. And thanks for following up with the information, I'm sure it will be useful to others as well as me :D