Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

libcurl 3 on Debian 10?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kerryhall

libcurl 3 on Debian 10?

#1 Post by kerryhall »

I have a plugin for a daw that I've been trying for the past several months to get working.

Unfortunately the version of libc was too old, so I was told I needed to upgrade to Debian 10.

I did this, and in addition I tested everything in a vm and confirmed it worked.

I just did a fresh install of Debian 10 on my laptop, but now when I go to test the plugin, I get an error saying I need libcurl3.

First:
How do I install libcurl3 on Debian 10?

Second:
I tested this roughly a few weeks ago with the *exact* same version of the plugin and Debian 10. Was libcurl3 removed in the past few weeks?

This is maddening, I'm stuck in dependency hell right now.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: libcurl 3 on Debian 10?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

empty@E485 ~ % aptitude search libcurl3
v   libcurl3-dev
v   libcurl3-dev:i386             -                                                                                                                                           
i   libcurl3-gnutls               - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (GnuTLS flavour)                                                                             
p   libcurl3-gnutls:i386          - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (GnuTLS flavour)                                                                             
v   libcurl3-gnutls-dev           -                                                                                                                                           
v   libcurl3-gnutls-dev:i386
p   libcurl3-nss                  - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (NSS flavour)                                                                                
p   libcurl3-nss:i386             - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (NSS flavour)                                                                                
v   libcurl3-nss-dev              -                                                                                                                                           
v   libcurl3-nss-dev:i386         -                                                                                                                                           
v   libcurl3-openssl-dev          -                                                                                                                                           
v   libcurl3-openssl-dev:i386     -                                                                                                                                           
empty@E485 ~ %
So try the -dev package.
deadbang

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

@H_o_a_S

So why does Aptitude show libcurl3-dev when Synaptic doesn't and apt installs libcurl4?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arochester wrote:So why does Aptitude show libcurl3-dev when Synaptic doesn't and apt installs libcurl4?
Because libcurl3-dev is a virtual package that has libcurl4-openssl-dev as a dependency. Hopefully that will provide the files the OP needs.
deadbang

kerryhall

#5 Post by kerryhall »

I tried installing that package, but unfortunately no luck, same issue.

In fact, I get the error saying I need libcurl3 when I just do "ldd myplugin.so".

Perhaps there is a way I can download libcurl3 somehow, just the so file, put it in my home dir, then somehow tell ldd to tell "myplugin.so" to use the downloaded version of libcurl3?

Is this possible? If so, how would I go about it?

Thank you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Search the interweb for 'LD_PRELOAD'.
deadbang

kerryhall

#7 Post by kerryhall »

Thank you! I will investigate that :)