Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Files unrecognizable to other machines

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Igor the Dank

Files unrecognizable to other machines

#1 Post by Igor the Dank »

Hello, I need some help figuring out why all the documents and images I create on my Debian machine are not recognized by other computers.

For example: I created a PDF file using LibreOffice, saved it to a USB flash drive and brought it to a copy center to be printed out, but the machines at the store do not recognize the PDF and can't load it. In the past I've done the exact same thing and the exact same shop, using LibreOffice on a Windows machine and it worked fine many time. So why is it different now from Debian?

Same with image files. I made an image in Gimp, exported it as a JPG file, and tried to upload it online to a photo printing place, but the site said the file is unrecognizable. Same story, done it before the exact same way on Windows with Gimp.

Is there some issue I'm unaware of that stops files from being seen or executed outside the host system? An escalation issue?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Files unrecognizable to other machines

#2 Post by sunrat »

JPG and PDF are standard formats regardless of operating system. Most likely you have some error in the saving or copying routine or the USB key itself. What machine does the print shop have? What format is the USB key?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If you still have access to a Windows machine, can you open the files yourself in that OS?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

My local print shop has an ancient Windows Vista machine (yes, really) that will only recognise USB sticks if they have an msdos ("MBR" style) partition table with a single, FAT-formatted partition.
deadbang