Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WH-1000XM3 bluetooth headphones auto-connect issues

Need help with peripherals or devices?
walken

#1 Post by walken »

Hi,

I recently purchased some sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, which I want to use with my home computer running debian 10.

After initial pairing using blueman-manager, the headphones work fine:
- Playing videos in the browser, the sound goes to the headphones as expected;
- In blueman, the headphones audio profile is shown as "High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink)";
- I can change the audio profile to "Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP)" If I want, which results in lower quality audio but with lower latency;
- I can then change the audio profile back to "High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink)" without issues.

So far so good. The above also works if I disconnect the headphones in blueman-manager and reconnect them using "Connect To Headset".

However, if I power off the headphones, and then power them back on, the headphones will automatically reconnect into a very broken configuration:
- The audio profile is set to "Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP)"
- Playback does not work. Trying to play a video in firefox, the video just freezes as it can not set up the audio stream.
- I can hear some loud noises - apparently the headset microphone is looped back into the headset speakers.
- Trying to change the audio profile to "High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink)" fails - blueman-manager displays an error message "Failed to change profile to a2dp_sink"
In this state, the headphones are basically unusable. They can be returned to a working state by disconnecting the headphones in blueman-manager and reconnecting them using "Connect To Headset".

So, right now the issue is that every time I power on my headphones, they will automatically connect into the broken state, and I have to use blueman-manager to disconnect them and reconnect them into the working state. I would much prefer if I didn't have to do that, but none of the solutions I have found online (including the debian wiki BluetoothUser/a2dp page) have worked for me. I have also been unable to find any documentation of the settings that could be entered into the /etc/bluetooth files.

Anyone know what I should try next ?

walken

Re: WH-1000XM3 bluetooth headphones auto-connect issues

#2 Post by walken »

Also - if it's not easily doable to have the device auto-connect to the working state, the next best thing may be to disable auto-connect entirely. That way I could reconnect it a lot quicker using "Recent Connections / Headset on WH-1000XM3" under the blueman applet, instead of having to click Devices which pops out the blueman-manager window, then select WH-1000XM3, Disconnect, reconnect it again, and close the window. But, I'm not sure how to do that either - my understanding is that the reconnection is initiated by the headset rather than my computer ???

walken

#3 Post by walken »

I disabled auto-connect by doing the following:
- in blueman-manager, selected the headphones and clicked "Untrust" - that way the headphones can not auto-connect into the broken state
- Under View / Plugins, disabled the AuthAgent plugin - that way I don't get popup windows whenever the headphones try to auto-connect (it would be better if the popup had an "always deny" option, but this will do for now).

With these settings, I still have to manually connect the headphones using "Recent Connections / Headset on WH-1000XM3" in the blueman applet. Not perfect, but better than the default config.

cityhunt

#4 Post by cityhunt »

Hello walken,

just a wild guess: give it a try with Wayland disabled.
I had similar issues with a Bluetooth Mouse (check the post I just posted).

Cheers

walken

#5 Post by walken »

I just double checked as I was not 100% sure, but I am not running Wayland.

walken

#6 Post by walken »

As for manually connecting, going through the applet or blueman-manager seems to be less reliable than running bluetoothctl connect 38:18:4C:xx:xx:xx . Man, I didn't expect bluetooth to be such a hassle in 2019.