Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10, installation to pre-formatted SSD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tubus

Debian 10, installation to pre-formatted SSD

#1 Post by tubus »

Hello

I have SSD, which I formatted myself.
It has 2 partitions: /boot on first and 3 LV on the second partition
It is good and I can see all of LVMs from master host.

Question:
How to install Debian 10 into this pre-formatted disk.

What I tried - I boot from live usb and start "Install Debian" icon.
The process sees my SSD and even PV, but it doesn't see my VG, nor it doesn't create one
It doesn't even have button "create LV"
In terminal with root I can't find LVM utils at all.

Thank you.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 10, installation to pre-formatted SSD

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't use LVM myself but the installation guide has a bit that may help (section 6.4.3.5):

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... all.pdf.en
deadbang

tubus

#3 Post by tubus »

One can use existing partitions, but ONLY from pseudo graphical installer chosen within boot options

It is not possible to do by installer in Debian.
There is not LVM tools in console. So it is not possible to manually change anything.
Unpleasant experience.

Hope I like it after Ubuntu.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

tubus wrote:I boot from live usb and start "Install Debian" icon.
This must be the new Calamares installer available in Debian 10 live systems, not the Debian installer. From what I read, it is intended mainly for simple setups. For more advanced setups use the real Debian installer instead, it can re-use existing LVM groups and volumes and RAID arrays (but not existing LUKS encrypted volumes).
tubus wrote:In terminal with root I can't find LVM utils at all.
Maybe you need to install lvm2 in the live session.
LVM command line utilities are available in the Debian installer.
tubus wrote:One can use existing partitions, but ONLY from pseudo graphical installer chosen within boot options
What are you calling "pseudo graphical installer" ?
tubus wrote:Unpleasant experience.
Hope I like it after Ubuntu.
Last time I tried it, LVM support in Ubuntu's installer looked like a bad joke.

tubus

#5 Post by tubus »

p.H wrote: This must be the new Calamares installer available in Debian 10 live systems, not the Debian installer. From what I read, it is intended mainly for simple setups. For more advanced setups use the real Debian installer instead, it can re-use existing LVM groups and volumes and RAID arrays (but not existing LUKS encrypted volumes).
I do not know what is the name of it, but developers have implemented PV detection and "button" to create VG, which doens't create anything, but it does exist.
p.H wrote: Maybe you need to install lvm2 in the live session.
LVM command line utilities are available in the Debian installer.
"May be" during installation is not an option. LVM command line utilities MUST be available. At least to check names and modify if necessary.
Because to create LVM one needs to type less then 10 commands. It is much easy then to click and guess what is where in "pseudo graphical installer", which ask to write LVM formatting to the disk first and then change it. I do not understand it at all. No need to write anything - all it needs to do is to provide summary of PV, VG and LV - and ask user to confirm
p.H wrote:What are you calling "pseudo graphical installer" ?
Because it doesn't have windows. It is not possible to open terminal and check disk or current lvm settings
It did not detect my touch pad and I had to use tab and it is awfully designed, disk management for example.
p.H wrote:Last time I tried it, LVM support in Ubuntu's installer looked like a bad joke.
I agree with you here. But ubuntu installer has option to use existing partitions and it shows all of them to user and ask if one wants to format them or not. One can even change something in them.
I never allowed installer to do partitioning for me, it is much easy to do manually. But installer must detect and provide option to use existing in regular Linux desktop window system, where one can resize or check something in internet or in console.
It is nearly 2020.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

Exactly what is the name of the image file you used to create your install medium? So far your descriptions are a bit vague. "Pseudo graphical installer" is not a term used by Debian, you could even call CLI installer that.
It is nearly 2020.
Thank you for this gem of wisdom. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

tubus wrote:"May be" during installation is not an option. LVM command line utilities MUST be available.
I never used Debian live nor the Calamarer installer, so I cannot tell.
tubus wrote:Because it doesn't have windows. It is not possible to open terminal and check disk or current lvm settings
It did not detect my touch pad
I asked "what", not "why". Is it the non-graphical (curses) installer ? It has no support for pointing devices such as mice and touch pads. Actually I find it more convenient than the graphical installer. It is possible to open a shell in a terminal with Alt+F2 or Alt+F3 and use fdisk or lvm commands. And it allows to use existing partitions.

tubus

#8 Post by tubus »

sunrat wrote:Exactly what is the name of the image file you used to create your install medium? So far your descriptions are a bit vague. "Pseudo graphical installer" is not a term used by Debian, you could even call CLI installer that.
It was: debian-live-10.1.0-amd64-xfce.iso

Thank you

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

tubus wrote:It was: debian-live-10.1.0-amd64-xfce.iso
The Calamares installer in live is different from the full installer and has less options.
Try the full install image DVD1 from here - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/rele ... 4/iso-dvd/
There is also a link on that page to downloads of non-free images which contain firmware for some hardware that needs it. It's often easier to use that rather than trying to find firmware after installing.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

tubus

#10 Post by tubus »

sunrat wrote: The Calamares installer in live is different from the full installer and has less options.
Try the full install image DVD1 from here - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/rele ... 4/iso-dvd/
There is also a link on that page to downloads of non-free images which contain firmware for some hardware that needs it. It's often easier to use that rather than trying to find firmware after installing.
Thank you for suggestion
I will test the first one.
I need something that can be used as "rescue bootable" image.

But still - LVM tools is not that big, why not to include them in any live images, like KDE or XFCE or ...
If one use them to install, it also can be used to repair something
But they do not even have such handy tools like gparted or lvm - that is strange.
Someone really has not thought long enough when made those images.
That is question of convenience and respect to users who's chosen Debian.

Thank you.

qfu38

#11 Post by qfu38 »

p.H wrote:
tubus wrote:"May be" during installation is not an option. LVM command line utilities MUST be available.
It is possible to open a shell in a terminal with Alt+F2 or Alt+F3 and use fdisk or lvm commands. And it allows to use existing partitions.
No it isn't. Fdisk is not available in Debian 10 installation

RU55EL

#12 Post by RU55EL »

qfu38 wrote:
p.H wrote:
It is possible to open a shell in a terminal with Alt+F2 or Alt+F3 and use fdisk or lvm commands. And it allows to use existing partitions.
Yes it is! [edit] 'fdisk' is available in a Debian 10 installation. (I am not referring to using the command line during the installation process.) I missed the difference between "available in Debian 10 Installation" and "available in a Debian Installation" My mistake! [/edit]

Code: Select all

russel@brtv:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
russel@brtv:~$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for russel: 
Disk /dev/sdb: 29.5 GiB, 31675383808 bytes, 61865984 sectors
Disk model: MT-32           
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 9F93DBB0-4D58-4EF4-9553-66CF1A985665

Device        Start      End  Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1      2048  1050623  1048576  512M EFI System
/dev/sdb2   1050624 44019711 42969088 20.5G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb3  44019712 61863935 17844224  8.5G Linux swap

Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 850 
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 09329014-5834-4A65-8672-AC14AF74394B

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1   2048 1953523711 1953521664 931.5G Linux filesystem
Last edited by RU55EL on 2020-06-29 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

cuckooflew

#13 Post by cuckooflew »

Show some actual out put to prove this, if the command is not correctly typed it will say "not found", or something, ...As you can see, RU55EL shows it is available.

You should show us exactly how you are trying to run fdisk, exactly how you type the command ?
Please use code boxes. Also show the output of

which fdisk
eg:

$ which fdisk
/sbin/fdisk
parrot$  
Your out put will be different.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

RU55EL

#14 Post by RU55EL »

'fdisk' requires administrator permissions.

So, on my Debian system:

russel@DESKTOP-CK0E8I6:~$ which fdisk
Returns nothing, I just get the prompt back.

But, if I use sudo:

russel@DESKTOP-CK0E8I6:~$ sudo which fdisk
/usr/sbin/fdisk
So, It would be better to say:

russel@DESKTOP-CK0E8I6:~$ su -
Password: 
root@DESKTOP-CK0E8I6:~# which fdisk
/usr/sbin/fdisk
or

# which fdisk

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by p.H »

Please guys, pay attention. This is about the fdisk-udeb installer component in the Debian installer context, not the fdisk command in an installed system context.
qfu38 wrote:Fdisk is not available in Debian 10 installation
Yes and no.
The fdisk-udeb installer component which provides fdisk in the Debian installer is still available. However I noticed that it is not installed by default any more in the 10.4 installer. If you want to install it, you can either :
- start the installation with "expert install" in the boot menu and select "fdisk-udeb" in the "load installer components from CD" stage.
- go back to the installer main menu at any time, select "change debconf priority" and lower the priority to "medium" or "low", then go back to the main menu, select "load installer components from CD" and select "fdisk-udeb".
- drop to a shell and run

anna-install fdisk-udeb

cuckooflew

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

by tubus »http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mo ... 7#pr709636>But they do not even have such handy tools like gparted or lvm - that is strange.
Someone really has not thought long enough when made those images.
That is question of convenience and respect to users who's chosen Debian.
If you can do better, you would be welcome to pitch in and volunteer to help with making those images, you know, help out a little with the "free meal" so to speak.
Also , did you look at the link provided by H_O_A_S ?
I see where it shows about lvm, and it looks simple.
LVM setup in debian-installer is quite simple and completely supported inside partman. First,you have to mark the partition(s) to be used as physical volumes for LVM. This is done in the Partition settings menu where you should select Use as:! physical volume for LVM.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't use LVM myself but the installation guide has a bit that may help (section 6.4.3.5):

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... all.pdf.en
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

qfu38

#17 Post by qfu38 »

RU55EL wrote: Yes it is! [edit] 'fdisk' is available in a Debian 10 installation. (I am not referring to using the command line during the installation process.) I missed the difference between "available in Debian 10 Installation" and "available in a Debian Installation" My mistake! [/edit]
No it isn't. I can provide you a screenshot but i cannot attach it (forum says `Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.`, despite of i'm not uploaded anything yet).
Steps to reproduce it:
Boot from Debian 10 installation media (no matter it is complete DVD or netinstall/minimal)
Launch console by pressing Alt-F2 or so
Type 'fdisk' (without quotes, of course)
BTW, there is no alternative avalable such as parted, gparted and so.
And there is no any point in documentation/changelog about this.

qfu38

#18 Post by qfu38 »

p.H wrote:Please guys, pay attention. This is about the fdisk-udeb installer component in the Debian installer context, not the fdisk command in an installed system context.
- drop to a shell and run

anna-install fdisk-udeb
Wow, it works. Great, thank you. I have added this to 'd-i preseed/early_command string' in my preseed file.
It works.