Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Different way to update for Tor and Firefox on debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
capcla

Different way to update for Tor and Firefox on debian

#1 Post by capcla »

hi,
I have installed the packages torbrowser-launcher by repository on my pc. When there's an update, tor doesn't wait the repository but download automatically the update and automatically install it.
I ask me if there's a simil solution for update of firefox instead wait the update by the repository.
Thanks

stevepusser

Re: Different way to update for Tor and Firefox on debian

#2 Post by stevepusser »

capcla wrote:hi,
I have installed the packages torbrowser-launcher by repository on my pc. When there's an update, tor doesn't wait the repository but download automatically the update and automatically install it.
I ask me if there's a simil solution for update of firefox instead wait the update by the repository.
Thanks
Yes, and the same Firefox question is asked and answered at least every couple of weeks here, "how to get the latest version of Firefox". I suggest that you first at least invest maybe ten minutes in a forum search for "firefox update".
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

^ What he said, yep ... download it from Mozilla, install it in your users /home directory and run it by clicking on either firefox or firefox.bin that's contained in the folder after you extract it at a location. Such can be used with the full path in menu's, terminal or via shortcut key keybinds and/or someone can setup a symlink or bash alias or whatever other way(s) to launch it.

Note: Done this way it automatically updates but isn't actually "installed" by the package management tools on the Debian OS, it's running independent of them. Honestly not going into it in any great detail as @Stevep mentions it's a subject that's been well covered, no doubt here and other places online.
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-10-25 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

capcla

#4 Post by capcla »

Excuse me, I know how install firefox: by repository, by manual installation in home or in /opt.
I ask why firefox doesn't use same installation way of tor browser which unpdate automatically instead of manual installation. In this way firefox would be install by repository but update automatically.

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Now that, that's clear. My answer is I don't know really. They used to maintain a repo back when the stupe Iceweasel thing was going on. A theory, maybe Mozilla still maintains bad feelings towards Debian for that Iceweasel fiasco ? Deciding to rebrand and fork the premiere open source web browser due to something like copyrighted naming/brand and imagery was pretty petty and imo foolish on the part of whoever decided to do so. It hurt both Debian and Mozilla.

Or perhaps it's simply the fact that no qualified or trusted maintainer(s) have stepped up and elected the responsibility of maintaining a Firefox repository ? Could definitely be something else too of course. Truly I don't care, have run Firefox directly from Mozilla for the majority of the time I've been using gnu/Linux and it works great. I get automatic updates as they come out and have no complaints. Am glad Debian opted to abandon Iceweasel and begin supporting Mozilla/Firefox again as it should be, shrugs. :)

PS, Too much coffee !!! Definitely think Mozilla should setup and start maintaining an official Firefox repo for Debian though. With Chrome(Google Inc)pretty much dominating the world in the browser wars, they need all the help and users they can get and keep.

capcla

#6 Post by capcla »

Deb-fan wrote: Definitely think Mozilla should setup and start maintaining an official Firefox repo for Debian though. With Chrome(Google Inc)pretty much dominating the world in the browser wars, they need all the help and users they can get and keep.
This is my same conclusion! Its would be useful for the user which would not much more use stranges and particular solutions!
In alternative, for me, a solution likes torbrowser-launcher would be excellent!

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

Griped about it years n years ago. You install Chrome, it adds a repo for itself no problem. Even remember it hijacking the default browser for itself. Why Mozilla didn't do the same, I just don't know. Get the feeling there's got to be more to it than meets the eye. They need all the users they can get and are at least trying to make a come back with Quantum etc etc. Oh well ... could either gripe about it or figure out a way to get latest Firefox, so went with the latter.

I'm not remotely qualified to try to tell Mozilla their business, clearly the same goes for Debian. Though I adore Debian and Firefox too, shrugs. Not my decision. Among the legions of why doesn't Debian or Mozilla do xyz gripes I've come up with over the years, one of them is why the heel Debian classifies latest Firefox as unstable software. Yep have heard all the justifications for why it's technically not considered worthy of stable. Goes without saying people want the latest web-browser(s) for their OS's of choice but again, not my call.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

If you want to volunteer a little time and effort and solve that issue for yourself and others, getting a lot of good karma, set up a free repository on the openSUSE Build Service, and rebuild the MX Linux Firefox versions in it--I can help you remove the MX customizations if you want, though they are just stuff like the default home page and bookmarks, so are benign.

The sources are here: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/f/firefox/

I wrote a guide to using the OBS to build packages and host a repo in the How-To's here a few years ago.
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

^Stevep, you're the man, I'd actually install packages from your repo's but the idea of any random and unconfirmed person just stepping up and saying, here, use my browser is out of the question. With no vetting, confirmation and oversight it'd be insane for people to do. To me personally this doesn't matter, it's easy to get latest FF on Debian. In the big picture it does though. Have used FF since a couple versions before it went v 1.0, it'd be horrid to see it die out and the world is actually facing as dire a situation as what created Mozilla/FF in the first place.

When IE ruled with an iron fist. Google Inc/Chrome is dominating the browser share/war. Though haven't yet seen any Chrome (only) specific markup tags and Google does keep Chrome compliant and consistent with web standards, as far as I know. Haven't troubled even studying the situation in quite awhile. Though I am sure developers spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking and dev'ing for Chrome. They'd be retarded not to, with it having something like 80% or more of the browser share.

Definitely think Mozilla dropped the ball on this, sheesh, didn't just drop it, they face planted it in their own infield.

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

Nope (thanks to caffeine) more to say about this. Could write a dang bk on just this subject, in fact probably have, all the pages are just spread all over the webz, in gnu/Nix forums past/present. Anyway on with it ...

Yet another reason to make Firefox (latest) more readily available and better setup on Debian, the lag between updates, it still takes time for whatever maintainer to get it into the repo's, Mozilla has already done the work. Say a serious zero day security exploit comes out, Mozilla patches the sucker but there's still that lag and not everybody upgrades their Debian OS's everyday. Though yeppers they almost certainly use their browser everyday. The way I have Firefox setup, when I launch the browser it automatically updates itself, no lag.

Granted I would classify the overall risk to unpatched users as minimal but it's still added risk for them, shrugs. Debian and Mozilla can you gals/guys get together and come up with something better eh ?