Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[unstable] 5.3 kernel and nvidia legacy drivers?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[unstable] 5.3 kernel and nvidia legacy drivers?

#1 Post by wizard10000 »

Anybody else having trouble here? I keep getting "no screens found" on both 340.x and 390.x driver packages. Adding bus ID to xorg.conf didn't help. Video card is Quadro K1100M (Kepler).

Not particularly important but I wanted to see if Second Life performed better under Nvidia than nouveau as < 10fps is kinda unplayable :)

talks -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Deb-fan

Re: [unstable] 5.3 kernel and nvidia legacy drivers?

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Sorry mia amigo, no experience with Nvidia, so no help. Do remember Linus Torvald giving them the one finger salute. :) However am planning on farting in a box and mailing it to Broadcom !!! Die !!! dieeeeeeeeeee broadcom, come on, please die !!!!???

:D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

Deb-fan wrote:Sorry mia amigo, no experience with Nvidia, so no help. Do remember Linus Torvald giving them the one finger salute. :) However am planning on farting in a box and mailing it to Broadcom !!! Die !!! dieeeeeeeeeee broadcom, come on, please die !!!!???

:D
Don't blame you at all about Broadcom - only experience I had was with an old (Compaq-branded) HP netbook that refused to boot after I swapped the Broadcom card for an Intel one - that's when I learned HP (and Lenovo and Toshiba) whitelist the OEM PCI ID of their internal wireless cards.

I got lucky and found a hacked BIOS with the whitelist removed, but if you can you'd be a whole lot happier pitching that Broadcom card :)

cheers -
-- anais nin

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

wizard10000 wrote:Anybody else having trouble here? I keep getting "no screens found" on both 340.x and 390.x driver packages. Adding bus ID to xorg.conf didn't help. Video card is Quadro K1100M (Kepler).

Not particularly important but I wanted to see if Second Life performed better under Nvidia than nouveau as < 10fps is kinda unplayable :)

talks -
It looks like you need the latest version in upstream Debian to build against 5.3 kernels. 340.107-7 is that version.

Code: Select all

nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-340xx (340.107-7) unstable; urgency=medium

* Add buildfix_kernel_5.3.patch from Ubuntu to fix kernel module build for
    Linux 5.3.  (Closes: #941788)
  * Bump Standards-Version to 4.4.1. No changes needed.

-- Andreas Beckmann <anbe@debian.org>  Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:50:51 +0200
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Good hack .... actually like this old beast, Dell inspiron 1545, paid $90 bucks for it from some old gent on Craigslist. Gonna keep it around until the wheels fall off of it, sheesh will even replace components as needed to keep it going, expecting it's massive 250gb harddrive to blow out any time now. It's 10+ friggin years old.

Though learned my lesson with Broadcom + gnu/Nix too. Been mostly lucky with hardware and gnu/Linux, though now more aware of what to look for and look out for going forward too. Just got around to installing Buster netinstall and setting it up to my tastes. Spent HOURS trying to get wireless working, in the end turned out it was a Ceni issue(not so much broadcom one), dkms had been working right and building/installing my Broadcom wl.ko module correctly the whole time. Looks like Ceni is about dead, .... a moment of silence please. :( Wussed out and went with wicd-gtk, it's been forever since I've had a gui'ey network thingy running.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by wizard10000 »

stevepusser wrote:It looks like you need the latest version in upstream Debian to build against 5.3 kernels. 340.107-7 is that version.

Code: Select all

nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-340xx (340.107-7) unstable; urgency=medium

* Add buildfix_kernel_5.3.patch from Ubuntu to fix kernel module build for
    Linux 5.3.  (Closes: #941788)
  * Bump Standards-Version to 4.4.1. No changes needed.

-- Andreas Beckmann <anbe@debian.org>  Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:50:51 +0200
Thanks muchly, Steve. Appreciate the helps :)
-- anais nin

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by wizard10000 »

That worked, Steve - getting 30fps now :)

Thanks again -
-- anais nin

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

If you're using Bumblebee to access your Nvidia card with the 340xx legacy driver, the Buster version seems to have a bug where it's loading the wrong GL library. The fix is just a couple lines in the terminal, but we are probably going to make that even easier in MX 19--either automatically in the MX Nvidia Installer, or with a checkbox in MX Tweak.

I'll add the 340xx driver to my OBS repo with the backported 5.3.7 kernel, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by wizard10000 »

stevepusser wrote:If you're using Bumblebee to access your Nvidia card with the 340xx legacy driver, the Buster version seems to have a bug where it's loading the wrong GL library. The fix is just a couple lines in the terminal, but we are probably going to make that even easier in MX 19--either automatically in the MX Nvidia Installer, or with a checkbox in MX Tweak.

I'll add the 340xx driver to my OBS repo with the backported 5.3.7 kernel, too.
No bumblebee here, Intel video is disabled in BIOS. After a little Nvidia tweaking I'm seeing 30-50fps now :)

The Second Life native client doesn't like Sid at all but Firestorm works great and if you ignore the install.sh it'll run in a single directory in /home. I'm really curious about how a community that's more than a dozen years old has developed :)

cheers -
-- anais nin