Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to upgrade nvidia driver on debian 10

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
marietto

how to upgrade nvidia driver on debian 10

#1 Post by marietto »

Hello to everyone,

Currently,I'm running Debian Buster :

mario@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# uname -a
Linux DESKTOP-N9UN2H3 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 (2019-09-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux

with this graphic card :

mario@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] [10de:1e04] (rev a1)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver package.

and with this driver :

mario@DESKTOP-N9UN2H3:/home/mariozio# apt install nvidia-driver
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
nvidia-driver è già alla versione più recente (418.74-1).
0 aggiornati, 0 installati, 0 da rimuovere e 0 non aggiornati.

as you can see I'm using a very old driver : 418,while the last version of the nvidia driver is : 430.50. So,I would upgrade it. What's the right way to do so ? It says : "Your card is supported by the default drivers. It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver". Is there a newer version of this driver using apt ? Or u suggest to install the nvidia "run" driver ? Also : I tried to uninstall the apt version,but the nvidia installer told me a lot of time that it detected that the driver was installed using the apt way and it refused to install itself. what to do ?

stevepusser

Re: how to upgrade nvidia driver on debian 10

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Well, I did get a backported version of the 435.21 driver working on Stretch and Buster-based MX 18 and 19 beta, and it's in the test repos for each release, but note the version of nvidia-settings that ends up being recommended (Debian installs those by default, but not MX, but our MX Nvidia Installer app does.)

Code: Select all

$ apt show nvidia-driver
Package: nvidia-driver
Version: 435.21-1~mx17+1
Priority: optional
Section: non-free/x11
Source: nvidia-graphics-drivers
Maintainer: Debian NVIDIA Maintainers <pkg-nvidia-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 1,303 kB
Provides: nvidia-glx-any
Pre-Depends: nvidia-installer-cleanup, nvidia-legacy-check (>= 343)
Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), nvidia-driver-bin (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), nvidia-alternative (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 435.21-1~mx17+1) | nvidia-kernel-435.21, nvidia-support
Recommends: nvidia-settings (>= 435), libnvidia-cfg1 (= 435.21-1~mx17+1), nvidia-persistenced
Since the latest nvidia-settings that Debian has available in any version is 430.50, this will cause issues. I had to get the newer source for it and package it myself for MX:

Code: Select all

$ apt policy nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings:
  Installed: 435.21-0.1~mx17+1
  Candidate: 435.21-0.1~mx17+1
  Version table:
 *** 435.21-0.1~mx17+1 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
and everything works. So you just need to wait for Debian to do the same and get the 435 driver out of Experimental and into testing, then buster-backports, along with the updated nvidia-settings--or DYI.
MX Linux packager and developer

Jessica Sinclair

#3 Post by Jessica Sinclair »

430.5 is the long term stable version and the newer version well there's not much difference but it will shut your computer down because of the memory used in all the RTX drivers which are cheap memory from Malaysia that was shipped with higher speed - the new drivers will shut down your pc because it forces you to run on much lower clock speed this means the 430.5 is the best stable version.

People running latest drivers are screaming in anger because the RTX2080 have crashed all their computers and will shut down your computer as well due to the cheap Malaysian memories that are used in the RTX cards.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The newer drivers run at slower clock speeds, and that leads to crashes? Don't you have that backwards?

Jessica Sinclair

#5 Post by Jessica Sinclair »

stevepusser wrote:The newer drivers run at slower clock speeds, and that leads to crashes? Don't you have that backwards?

Nvidia is forcing everyone to slow their memory speed down in their latest drivers because their rtx 2080 cards had cheap rams bought from malaysia what was malfunctioning fast on higher clock speed.

RTX owners are pissed because Nvidia is doing in a sly way instead of coming out with the truth.

If you are using newest drivers it will crash your system in Windows 10, i dont know if this is the same for other OS - the only way to fix this crashing is to slow the memory of the GPU down to the lowest settings - the new drivers will only affect cards with higher speed memory settings like OC versions of the RTX cards like mine.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Thomas Reynold wrote:Hey Guys If you haven't got any solution for the up-gradation of driver than see these simple steps explained in this blog .

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... ster-linux

My friend suggested me this once so this site helped me alot.
Is installing the drivers from directly from Nvidia a better way than installing my backported Debian 435.21 packages?

If you insist on that method, there is also the sgfxi script, which pretty much automates that process.