Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X is Linux like

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
asifnaz

Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X is Linux like

#1 Post by asifnaz »

I posted on some Linux related forums that in first ever Mac OS X presentation Steve Jobs said it is "Linux like" operating system . Almost all replies were no he said "Unix-like" .

Now I have found that video again .Please listen at 3:00 and let me know the context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII

Thank you and please comment

pylkko

Re: Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X is Linux like

#2 Post by pylkko »

Waiting for the day that someone posts a Jobs citation that has any kind of interesting content to it...

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Linux and OS X are both Unix like. What's to discuss?
MX Linux packager and developer

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Nothing to discuss, and I am not interested in the youtube video being promoted here.Don't care what he /she/it says. Linux is Unix like, Mac OSX is Unix based/Unix like, but I could care less what Steve Jobs says,never heard of him/her or it until now. Why are you promoting them ?

asifnaz

#5 Post by asifnaz »

I dont understand why it is seen as video promotion . Before in a discussion I mentioned that presentation and I was told he said Unix-like not Linux like . Nobody believed me . I came across the video again and thought it must be worth talking with proof .
BTW Linux is Unix clone but not Unix-like unlike Freebsd,open salaris and OS X etc

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

asifnaz wrote:BTW Linux is Unix clone but not Unix-like unlike Freebsd,open salaris and OS X etc
OSX & Solaris are both POSIX-certified but FreeBSD is not. Linux is mostly POSIX-compliant but not certified, it follows the Linux Standard Base instead, or at least it used to.

EDIT: Steve Jobs is full of crap, I'm not watching anything with that centipede in it.
deadbang