Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

no pdf thumbnails in Caja - Mate 1.20

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jmarg

no pdf thumbnails in Caja - Mate 1.20

#1 Post by jmarg »

I am using MATE 1.20 in Debian 10. I can not see the pdf files as preview thumbnails using Caja. However, when I open a folder using a different file browser, e.g. Thunar or Nautilus, pdf thumbnails are shown. After this, when I open the same folder with Caja pdf thumbnails are also shown, but thumbnails are not generated for any new pdf file that I copy to this folder or in case that I edit any pre-existed pdf file.
Is there a way to fix this?

Rezadora

Re: no pdf thumbnails in Caja - Mate 1.20

#2 Post by Rezadora »

I had the same issue before. In my case, the responsible was the Evince PDF reader. I downloaded it to be able to see annotations in PDFs. Removing the package solved the thumbnails problem. Do you, by chance, have Evince installed?

jmarg

#3 Post by jmarg »

I uninstalled evince, but the problem remains...

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Not real details just some thoughts. Sounds like a Caja issue to me, since it's working in other file-managers apparently. Seems you do have a/some relevant icons/themes. Would try digging around in any config files related to Caja itself, either in users /home or system wide ones. Thing being to look for relevant lines to edit to define an appropriate theme-etc. Assuming it's gtk something or other since it's MATE. If you have the mlocate package installed, am a big fan of the locate cmd ie: "locate caja |grep config" and similar to zero in on it's config files.

Not overly familar with MATE, as I'm into Openbox (or other windows managers), so can't be of much real help beyond this speculation. Good luck, am sure it's fixable and please share any fix you discover. :)

PS, also stuff along the lines of "apt search caja", see any packages which look relevant to your issues ? What's (which packages are )installed for caja on your OS ?
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Rezadora

#5 Post by Rezadora »

jmarg wrote:I uninstalled evince, but the problem remains...
In that case try deleting the .cache/thumbnails directory in your home directory. Or if you don't want to remove it:

Code: Select all

mv -- "$HOME/.cache/thumbnails" "$HOME/.cache/thumbnails.bak"
And log out and log in again or reboot afterwards.

jmarg

#6 Post by jmarg »

removing the .cache/thumbnails folder solved the problem. Thank you very much

Rezadora

#7 Post by Rezadora »

Glad to help. If you, like me, installed Evince to have features such as annotating documents a good alternative in my opinion is Okular. The only downside is that you'll download KDE dependencies as well.