Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install lsb-core

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Pace

How to install lsb-core

#1 Post by Pace »

Hi everyone, ok dumb question here I know.

I'm using conky on my Debian 10 buster with KDE plasma.
Im getting an error that says no lsb sensor found.
When i run lsb_release I get

Code: Select all

@debian:~$ lsb_release
No LSB modules are available.
So I figured i need to install lsb-core, but when I try apt-get install lsb-core

@debian:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lsb-core
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease                   
Hit:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease           
Hit:4 https://repo.skype.com/deb stable InRelease                     
Reading package lists... Done                   
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package lsb-core is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
So any ideas how I install this?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to install lsb-core

#2 Post by sunrat »

lsb-core is obsolete since Jessie. I'm also running Debian 10 Buster with KDE and Conky and have not this problem.
I'd say it's an X-Y problem. Forget about installing lsb-core because that's not going to happen. Work out why Conky is giving you that message. Copy/paste the exact error message here and your ~/.conkyrc file.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Pace

#3 Post by Pace »

sunrat wrote:lsb-core is obsolete since Jessie. I'm also running Debian 10 Buster with KDE and Conky and have not this problem.
I'd say it's an X-Y problem. Forget about installing lsb-core because that's not going to happen. Work out why Conky is giving you that message. Copy/paste the exact error message here and your ~/.conkyrc file.
So the error is generated from the line:-

#${color2}Distro:${color}${alignr}$sysname $kernel ${alignr}${execi 6000 lsb_release -a | grep 'Release'|awk {'print $2""$3""$4""$5'}}
As when i comment this out i dont get the error.

If I run lsb_release -a from Konsole I get:-

blupace@debian:~/scripts$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster
blupace@debian:~/scripts$ 
Conky File

--[[
#=====================================================================================
#                               arcolinux
# Date    : package-date
# Author  : Erik Dubois at http://www.erikdubois.be
# Version : package-version
# License : Distributed under the terms of GNU GPL version 2 or later
# Documentation : http://erikdubois.be/
#======================================================================================
# CONKY
# For commands in conky.config section:
# http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html
#
# For commands in conky.text section:
# http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html
#
# A PDF with all variables is provided
#=====================================================================================
# FONTS
# To avoid copyright infringements you will have to download
# and install the fonts yourself sometimes.
# GENERAL INFO ABOUT FONTS
# Go and look for a nice font on sites like http://www.dafont.com/
# Download and unzip - double click the font to install it (font-manager must be installed)
# No font-manager then put fonts in ~/.fonts
# Change the font name in the conky
# The name can be known with a command in the terminal: fc-list | grep "part of name"
# Change width and height of the conky according to font
# Reboot your system or fc-cache -fv in terminal
# Enjoy
# FONTS FOR THIS CONKY
# http://www.dafont.com/style-bats.font
#======================================================================================

]]

conky.config = {

--Various settings

background = true, 							-- forked to background
	cpu_avg_samples = 2,						-- The number of samples to average for CPU monitoring.
	diskio_avg_samples = 10,					-- The number of samples to average for disk I/O monitoring.
	double_buffer = true,						-- Use the Xdbe extension? (eliminates flicker)
	if_up_strictness = 'address',				-- how strict if testing interface is up - up, link or address
	net_avg_samples = 2,						-- The number of samples to average for net data
	no_buffers = true,							-- Subtract (file system) buffers from used memory?
	temperature_unit = 'celsius',				-- fahrenheit or celsius
	text_buffer_size = 2048,					-- size of buffer for display of content of large variables - default 256
	update_interval = 1,						-- update interval
	imlib_cache_size = 0,                       -- disable image cache to get a new spotify cover per song

--Placement

alignment = 'top_right',						-- top_left,top_middle,top_right,bottom_left,bottom_middle,bottom_right,
												-- middle_left,middle_middle,middle_right,none
	--Arch Duoscreen
	--gap_x = -1910,
	gap_x = 40,									-- pixels between right or left border
	gap_y = 50,									-- pixels between bottom or left border
	minimum_height = 600,						-- minimum height of window
	minimum_width = 400,						-- minimum height of window
	maximum_width = 800,						-- maximum height of window

--Graphical

border_inner_margin = 10, 					-- margin between border and text
	border_outer_margin = 5, 					-- margin between border and edge of window
	border_width = 0, 							-- border width in pixels
	default_bar_width = 80,					-- default is 0 - full width
	default_bar_height = 10,					-- default is 6
	default_gauge_height = 25,					-- default is 25
	default_gauge_width =40,					-- default is 40
	default_graph_height = 40,					-- default is 25
	default_graph_width = 0,					-- default is 0 - full width
	default_shade_color = '#000000',			-- default shading colour
	default_outline_color = '#000000',			-- default outline colour
	draw_borders = false,						-- draw borders around text
	draw_graph_borders = true,					-- draw borders around graphs
	draw_shades = false,						-- draw shades
	draw_outline = false,						-- draw outline
	stippled_borders = 0,						-- dashing the border

--Textual

extra_newline = false,						-- extra newline at the end - for asesome's wiboxes
	format_human_readable = true,				-- KiB, MiB rather then number of bytes
	font = 'Roboto Mono:size=8',  				-- font for complete conky unless in code defined
	max_text_width = 0,							-- 0 will make sure line does not get broken if width too smal
	max_user_text = 16384,						-- max text in conky default 16384
	override_utf8_locale = true,				-- force UTF8 requires xft
	short_units = true,							-- shorten units from KiB to k
	top_name_width = 21,						-- width for $top name value default 15
	top_name_verbose = false,					-- If true, top name shows the full command line of  each  process - Default value is false.
	uppercase = false,							-- uppercase or not
	use_spacer = 'none',						-- adds spaces around certain objects to align - default none
	use_xft = true,								-- xft font - anti-aliased font
	xftalpha = 1,								-- alpha of the xft font - between 0-1

--Windows

own_window = true,							-- create your own window to draw
	own_window_argb_value = 0,			    -- real transparency - composite manager required 0-255
	own_window_argb_visual = true,				-- use ARGB - composite manager required
	own_window_colour = '#000000',				-- set colour if own_window_transparent no
	own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',  -- if own_window true - just hints - own_window_type sets it
	own_window_transparent = false,				-- if own_window_argb_visual is true sets background opacity 0%
	own_window_title = 'system_conky',			-- set the name manually  - default conky "hostname"
	own_window_type = 'normal',				-- if own_window true options are: normal/override/dock/desktop/panel

--Colours

default_color = '#ffffff',  				-- default color and border color
	color1 = '#6bdfff',
	color2 = '#369bff',					-- Sub Title Text
	color3 = '#b7d6ec',					--elements
	color4 = '#D9BC83',
	color5 = '#F1544B',					-- Titles
	color6 = '#FFFFFF',					-- Clock

--Signal Colours
	color7 = '#1F7411',  						--green
	color8 = '#FFA726',  						--orange
	color9 = '#F1544B',  						--firebrick

--Lua

};

conky.text = [[
${color6}${voffset 4}${font GE Inspira:size=30}${alignc}${time %H}:${time %M} ${font}${color}
${color6}${voffset 4}${font GE Inspira:size=10}${alignc}${time %A}${time %e} ${time %B}, ${time %Y}${font}${color}

${color5}${font Free Helvetian:Bold:size=8}${voffset 2}S Y S T E M   ${hr 2}${font}${color}
${color2}${voffset 8}Hostname:${color} ${alignr}${nodename}
#${color2}Distro:${color}${alignr}$sysname $kernel ${alignr}${execi 6000 lsb_release -a | grep 'Release'|awk {'print $2""$3""$4""$5'}}
${color2}Kernel:${color}${alignr}${exec uname} ${exec uname -r}
${color2}Uptime:${color} ${alignr}${uptime}

${color5}${font Free Helvetian:Bold:size=8}P R O C E S S O R S  ${hr 2}${font}${color}
${color2}CPU Freq:${color} $alignr${freq}MHz
${color2}CPU Temp:${color} $alignr${execi 10 sensors | grep 'Core 0' | awk {'print $3'}}
#${color2}History:${color} ${alignr}${cpugraph 8,100}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 1:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu1}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu1}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 2:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu2}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu2}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 3:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu3}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu3}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 4:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu4}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu4}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 5:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu5}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu5}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 6:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu6}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu6}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 7:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu7}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu7}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 8:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu8}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu8}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 9:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu9}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu9}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 10:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu10}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu10}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 11:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu11}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu11}
${color3}${offset 30}CPU Core 12:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${cpu cpu12}%${alignr}${cpubar cpu12}
#${color2}Top Processes${goto 222}${alignr}${offset -20}cpu%${goto 274} ${alignr}mem%${color}
#${voffset 4}     1  -  ${top name 1}${alignr} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top cpu 1} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top mem 1}
#     2  -  ${top name 2}${alignr} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top cpu 2} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top mem 2}
#     3  -  ${top name 3}${alignr} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top cpu 3} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top mem 3}
#     4  -  ${top name 4}${alignr} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top cpu 4} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top mem 4}
#     5  -  ${top name 5}${alignr} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top cpu 5} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top mem 5}

${color5}${font Free Helvetian:Bold:size=8}M E M O R Y   ${hr 2}${font}${color}
${color2}${offset 30}RAM: ${color}${alignr}${offset -10}${mem} / ${memmax}${alignr}${membar}
${color2}${offset 30}Swap:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${swap} / ${swapmax}${alignr}${swapbar}

${color2}Top Processes${goto 222}${alignr}${offset 35}cpu %${goto 274}${alignr}${offset 50}mem %${voffset 4}     
     ${color3}1  -  ${color}${top_mem name 1}${alignr}${goto 170} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top_mem cpu 1} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top_mem mem 1}
     ${color3}2  -  ${color}${top_mem name 2}${alignr}${goto 170} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top_mem cpu 2} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top_mem mem 2}
     ${color3}3  -  ${color}${top_mem name 3}${alignr}${goto 170} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top_mem cpu 3} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top_mem mem 3}
     ${color3}4  -  ${color}${top_mem name 4}${alignr}${goto 170} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top_mem cpu 4} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top_mem mem 4}
     ${color3}5  -  ${color}${top_mem name 5}${alignr}${goto 170} ${goto 222}${alignr}${top_mem cpu 5} ${goto 274}${alignr}${top_mem mem 5}

${color5}${font Free Helvetian:Bold:size=8}D R I V E S   ${hr 2}${font}${color}
${color2}Root - :${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /}${alignr}${fs_bar 10,100 /}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Read:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_read /dev/sda2}${alignr}${diskiograph_read sda2 10,100}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Write:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_write /dev/sda2}${alignr}${diskiograph_write sda2 10,100}

${color2}User :${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${fs_used /mnt/user} / ${fs_size /mnt/user}${alignr}${fs_bar 10,100 /mnt/user}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Read:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_read /dev/sdc1}${alignr}${diskiograph_read sdc1 10,100}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Write:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_write /dev/sdc1}${alignr}${diskiograph_write sdc1 10,100}

${color2}Backup :${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${fs_used /mnt/backup} / ${fs_size /mnt/backup}${alignr}${fs_bar 10,100 /mnt/backup}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Read:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_read /dev/sdb1}${alignr}${diskiograph_read sdb1 10,100}
${offset 30}${color3}I/O Write:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10}${diskio_write /dev/sdb1}${alignr}${diskiograph_write sdb1 10,100}

${color5}${color5}${font Free Helvetian:Bold:size=8}N E T W O R K   ${hr 2}${font}${color}
${color2}IP Address LAN: ${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${addrs eno2}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Up:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${upspeed eno2}${alignr}${upspeedgraph eno2 10,100}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Down:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${downspeed eno2}${alignr}${downspeedgraph eno2 10,100}

${color2}IP Address TP-Link: ${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${addrs TPLINK}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Up:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${upspeed TPLINK}${alignr}${upspeedgraph wlx18d6c71a8c9c 10,100}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Down:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${downspeed TPLINK}${alignr}${downspeedgraph wlx18d6c71a8c9c 10,100}

${color2}IP Address Intel: ${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${addrs wlo1}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Up:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${upspeed wlo1}${alignr}${upspeedgraph wlo1 10,100}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Down:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${downspeed wlo1}${alignr}${downspeedgraph wlo1 10,100}

${color2}IP Address Alfa: ${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${addrs wlx00c0ca96be5d}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Up:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${upspeed wlx00c0ca96be5d}${alignr}${upspeedgraph wlo1 10,100}
${color3}${offset 30}Eth Down:${color} ${alignr}${offset -10$}${downspeed wlx00c0ca96be5d}${alignr}${downspeedgraph wlo1 10,100}

]];

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

What information do you want in your conky? the command you have used returns 10 on my system but has the usual "No LSB modules are available." first, it would be easier to specify which information you actually want from lsb_release in the command instead of trying to get it all and then grep/awk it to fit (IMO) the man page offers the various parameters to get specific information which will return without the "No LSB modules are available." line. ie-

dai@home:~$ lsb_release -a | grep 'Release'|awk {'print $2""$3""$4""$5'}

dai@home:~$ lsb_release -d
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

dai@home:~$ lsb_release -c
Codename:	buster

dai@home:~$ lsb_release -cs
buster

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

What output are you expecting? Try:

cat /etc/issue |awk '//{print $1, $2, $3; }'
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Hi
Installing the now obsolete lsb-core package from stretch in Buster is not the way to go but it could be downloaded directly from debian.org/distrib/packages and then installed when all dependences are satisfied, provided lsb-security from oldoldstable were also installed previously. This would answer the question how to install lsb-core but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for conky which, I understand, works fine without it.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Pace

#7 Post by Pace »

I guess if Conky is working then I should just leave well alone..

Thanks for your input everyone...

mrkapqa

#8 Post by mrkapqa »

this has been solved here,

still useful in 2023

viewtopic.php?t=155467