Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Armel cross-compilation on Debian (toolchain repository)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
roman_r

Armel cross-compilation on Debian (toolchain repository)

#1 Post by roman_r »

I am compiling some code from armel architecture using Debian toolchain (my server is Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie) and I am not allowed to update it). I have found this page https://wiki.debian.org/CrossToolchains however, when I am failing to get an archive toolchain key using command from the instructions: curl http://emdebian.org/tools/debian/emdebi ... rchive.key | sudo apt-key add -

Seems that repository http://emdebian.org/tools/debian is not available anymore. Does anybody knows is there any issues with it now?

Thanks in advance.

reinob

Re: Armel cross-compilation on Debian (toolchain repository)

#2 Post by reinob »

I think the best is if you scroll down the Wiki a bit until you reach "Using a chroot of unstable".
You can install a chroot with buster (which has the cross compiler and is arguably easier to work with than unstable), where all you'd need is "apt install crossbuild-essential-armel"

If you can run qemu on your server (and I can't see why not as no KVM is needed), then have a look here: https://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/armel/

roman_r

#3 Post by roman_r »

Thanks for your reply.

I found out that all this instructions been done on server couple of years ago, but now it seems stop working (do not know why, maybe someone remove compiler). That is why I am trying to follow the page. I have found out that only compiler is missing: arm-linux-gnueabi-g++, it there any place where I can download it easily? I guess rest is already installed. I am sorry for my dumb questions, just new in cross-compiling and debian usage.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Are you manually compiling code, or building deb packages? I have armhf and arm64 pbuilders working to build debs on my MX 19 Buster based distro for both Buster and Stretch, and I just added a Jessie armel pbuilder to see if I could. According to the pbuilder docs, it's also possible to log into the pbuilder chroot and manually compile code there, but I've never tried that.

I also have amd64 and i386 sbuild schroots for the small percentage of packages that won't build with pbuilder, but I haven't tried adding any ARM architectures to those. Let me see what happens with that.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Huh--no real issues setting up a jessie armel schroot with sbuild, using mk-sbuild from ubuntu-dev-tools:

Code: Select all

mk-sbuild jessie --arch=armel

(lots of packages downloaded and installed)
(some errors concerning the jessie proposed-updates repo, which no longer exists. Sbuild works fine anyway, but you can manually edit /var/lib/schroot/chroots/jessie-armel/etc/apt/sources.list as sysadmin to comment out that and the deb-src lines--I do that for all my sbuild schroots anyway)

Done building jessie-armel.

To CHANGE the golden image: sudo schroot -c source:jessie-armel -u root
 To ENTER an image snapshot: schroot -c jessie-armel
 To BUILD within a snapshot: sbuild -A -d jessie-armel PACKAGE*.dsc
 To BUILD for : sbuild -A -d jessie-armel --host  PACKAGE*.dsc
MX Linux packager and developer