Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Talos II is pretty interesting now

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Talos II is pretty interesting now

#1 Post by pylkko »

RISC-V is a royalty-free open ISA, and there are billions of RISC-V cores now existing in the world. The vast majority of them are microcontrollers with a few kb of RAM used by companies that nead control electronics for computer hardware, cameras and such. Last year SiFive released the worlds first RISC-V computer that can run Linux, and I was sure that this field would develop further. However, it appears to have died, I have heard of only new designs (on paper) of future cores, no new implementations.

Now IBM's Power ISA is also open and royalty-free. But the Talos board is also now certified by the FSF as entirely free of closed-source software. It can be used with Debian on open source firmware. The only thing is the price, because mainboard alone costs as much as the SiFive board, which has integrated RAM and everything else needed to run. However, here you have a computer that you could buy once and use for the rest of your life, no vendor-lock in and planned obsolecence, on difficulties in repurposing as everything can be changedand tweaked by the user. I wonder if anyone of you guys have one?

https://www.fsf.org/news/talos-ii-mainb ... ur-freedom

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Talos II is pretty interesting now

#2 Post by CwF »

Wow, looks like a supermicro dressed to kill. Really, if those prices are full retail, they fit right in.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Interesting indeed but a little over my price range. Keen to see reports on how it runs with Debian.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

"Use the rest of my life?" What will that look like in twenty years when everyone else's computers are embedded in their clothes and invisible? I'll look like someone staggering around with an ear trumpet!
MX Linux packager and developer

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

stevepusser wrote:"Use the rest of my life?" What will that look like in twenty years when everyone else's computers are embedded in their clothes and invisible? I'll look like someone staggering around with an ear trumpet!
I hear you, but that will happen anyway... haha.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:I wonder if anyone of you guys have one?
Not yet but here's a blog post about getting Linux running on one of their Blackbird motherboards:

https://www.talospace.com/2019/06/a-sem ... kbird.html

So it's not exactly a Xeon replacement yet and the open-source firmware isn't that good compared to the blobs IBM are running in their server farms.
deadbang

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

Thanks for the link. This is what I suspected. Firstly, you cannot use any kind of GPU, because they don't exist with open source frimware and drivers. Second, the price about doubles when you include all the external devices needed to run. But that is not so bad... not nice, but not so bad either.

pendrachken

#8 Post by pendrachken »

$4K+ for a bottom of the barrel base model processor from 2017? Holy crap, finally someone more insane than Apple to throw money at! Sign me up!

Not to mention, that $4K is for a SINGLE processor on a dual CPU board, with only 16GB RAM included... No. No thanks. Unless the damn thing can cook and clean for you it's just over priced crap, no matter how "free" it is.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

Yes, but that it is expensive is common knowledge, as is the fact that it is not as expensive as it was previous to the Lite model...

Everyone is expecting the prices to go down with all of these new devicves based on rarer architectures

Also the guy says the grand total he put down for the parts was 2071 USD...

Also, who cares what year the model is? Why not rather focus on benchmarks?