Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Missing RAM

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Palmstroem

Missing RAM

#1 Post by Palmstroem »

My laptop reports that 2 banks of 16384 MiB RAM are installed (BIOS numbers, equal to dmidecode), in total 32768 MiB. BIOS also reports that only 32629 MiB are "available". What is using the rest? Debian reports a still lower value: 31980 MiB (top, equal to free). To be precise, 33533739008 bytes of RAM in total. Again, where is the rest?
Thanks for info on this.

cuckooflew

Re: Missing RAM

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't know where it went, but no need to worry, there is plenty more ram available, and for free here:
https://downloadmoreram.com/
:mrgreen:
Seriously, maybe try this: How to find out what is using my ram on Debian
I am sure you will find results that will help you learn how too run some tests and commands
that will help you determine what is using the ram, etc. I don't think any one can guess what is using the rest, especially wehn you don't even tell anyone what programs you use, what DE, verison of Debian, etc. Zero details = Zero quality answers. Try using some logic.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

...enumeration space

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Some memory may be reserved for the integrated GPU.
The output of the following command may also provide information about memory usage :

Code: Select all

dmesg |egrep "e820|Memory:"