Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I have a sync calendar between Debian and Android?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Luces

How can I have a sync calendar between Debian and Android?

#1 Post by Luces »

Regards.
I have a Debian + Cinnamon installation that I love, but by default cinnamon has nothing integrated calendar calendar type manager where I can add a medical appointment or meeting at a certain time and date with an alert or birthday every year.

I have tried Evolution, Thunderbird, gnome-calendar, Osmo, korganizer but the problem is that some do not notify and above all the window has to be open for it to work, it does not integrate into the Cinnamon panel, added to this they can not be synchronized with Some android calendar application.

I really wouldn't like to change the desktop.

As I see it, but I don't know how complicated it is:

- The idea is simple, synchronize calendars between android and debian.

- That is through a file to synchronize locally between android and debian

- That appointments are automatically registered in each calendar with that file

- Let it be with open source tools (It is extremely simple with google, but I want to unlink them)

Note to the curious:

- I try to use the majority of open source tools that I find, looking to stop using google services, using Fdroid on android of course, since I cannot install a ROM to my phone and I have only been able to do the following:

- A great tool at the moment is Syncthing, it synchronizes files automatically between Android and debian among others.

- By sharing directories I can synchronize my Notes with Joplin.

- I use Firefox and I have learned that duckduckgo works perfect

- For professional use I have bought a domain for 10 years and I no longer use gmail (more than an anonymous one for forums), you know, now my email is info@minombre.com

- In the future I will think about the cloud services, for the moment from my LAN network the files are synchronized and backed up between two PCs and my android phone and interestingly I do not miss having them on the internet in the cloud, on these three computers they keep copies and possibly buy a very low consumption microPC type LAN server for more backups.

- I just need to synchronize calendars

If you have more ideas or can help me I would appreciate it very much.

Regards
Saludos.

Tengo una instalación Debian+Cinnamon que me encanta, pero por defecto cinnamon no tiene nada integrado gestor tipo agenda calendario donde pueda agregar una cita medica o reunión en una hora y fecha determinada con una alerta o cumpleaños todos los años.

He probado Evolution, Thunderbird, gnome-calendar, Osmo, korganizer pero el problema es que algunos no notifican y sobre todo tiene que estar abierta la ventana para que funcione, no se integra al panel de Cinnamon, sumado a esto tampoco se podrán sincronizar con alguna aplicación calendario de android.

Realmente no me gustaría cambiar de escritorio.

Como yo lo veo, pero no se que tan complicado sea:

- La idea es simple, sincronizar calendarios entre android y debian.

- Que sea por medio de un archivo para sincronizar localmente entre android y debian

- Que automáticamente se registren las citas en cada calendario con ese archivo

- Que sea con herramientas open source (Es extremadamente sencillo con google, pero me quiero desligar de ellos)

Nota para los curiosos:

- Intento usar la mayoría de herramientas open source que encuentro, buscando dejar de usar los servicios de google, usando Fdroid en android claro esta ya que no puedo instalar una ROM a mi teléfono y solo he podido hacer lo siguiente:

- Una herramienta magnifica por el momento es Syncthing, sincroniza archivos automáticamente entre Android y debian entre otros.

- Al compartir directorios puedo sincronizar mis Notas con Joplin.

- Uso Firefox y he aprendido que duckduckgo funciona perfecto

- Para uso profesional he comprado un dominio por 10 años y ya no uso gmail (más que uno anónimo para foros), ya saben, ahora mi correo es info@minombre.com

- En un futuro pensare en los servicios de la nube, de momento desde mi red LAN se sincronizan y respaldan los archivos entre dos PCs y mi teléfono android y curiosamente no echo de menos tenerlos en internet en la nube, en estos tres equipos se mantinen las copias y posiblemente compre una microPC de muy bajo consumo tipo servidor LAN para más copias de seguridad.

- Solo me falta sincronizar calendarios

Si tienes más ideas o me puedes ayudar te lo agradecería mucho.

Saludos

cuckooflew

Re: How can I have a sync calendar between Debian and Androi

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

==edited===
Fortunately the post I was commenting on,or referring to was removed, so any way none if it is relevant any more,...
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2019-11-09 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

There must be a way to do this because GNOME does it straight out-of-the-box. You can set an event in the calendar, it then shows on your Android phone and on GNOME, and you get notifications on both GNOME and android. If you are using a google account, you have to go into its settings and "allow non-google applicatiosn to access".

The tools involved are - I believe - gnome-online-accounts, a calendar app (GNOME calendar or Evolution), and the notifications are made by libnotify, all of which should work on any desktop as far as I know. But, it might be a lot of work configuring. So, simpler to just use GNOME maybe?

I don't know what file syncing is, but I guess it is something like having an automated process make sure that the file exist on both devices at all times. I am not sure this can be done easily, without some heavy commercial ad-spamming app. For sure it can be done relatively easily, however. The most painless way to move files between android and a linux computer is to use (for example, there are others) Amaze, a free and open source file browser on Android. It allows the phone to work as an ftp server, and see samba shares. But there are many,many other ways too, you can even do it over ssh, for example. So when you are either on the LAN of the computer (or you can make the phone an access point and connect if you are not on your LAN), you can move files over the network just like any other files (due to the ftp-server). You just open Nautilus or other file browser (or even an internet browser) and go to the address of the phone, the folder appears just as folder locally on the computer. If you wanted it to keep identical folder contents on two devices, you could then run rsync for example after you have the ftp-server connection. I personally don't bother because most of the content on my phone is stuff that I do not want to save. So I manually cherry-pick stuff

You can also run your own cloud (look up things like nextcluod and owncloud), so that you get all the things that you get from providers like Google. In this case you need to have a server, either one at home or a VPS or something.

I simply run a VPN server on my router, that way I can use my home network as though I were on the LAN from the outside.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

I haven't tried it but radicale looks like it might work with an Android mobile phone.
This weekend I'll see if I can get it up and running through my freedombox setup. See also FreedomBox/Manual/Radicale.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

sjukfan

#6 Post by sjukfan »

I've looked into this from time to time and I think the easiest solution is to run your own webdav server because there's tons and tons of android to webdav software out there, and quite some debian to webdav too. It's an extra step but it should be pretty easy to move it to a cloud service too. And as an extra bonus, having calendars synced with webdav you easily move between different clients as long as they have support webdav.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

best way to go, is go to safe and use Gmail calendar.

This Chrome Extension can be runned as an App.. with a launcher shortcut.:
(then you have evolution and kontact for manage Google calendar in debians's client side; I think both of them works pretty well)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fdddkhlfmm

gcalendar.sh

Code: Select all

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --app-id=magodclodecbbnbdfpmoehfdddkhlfmm &

xdotool search --sync --onlyvisible --class "gcolor2" windowminimize &
 sleep 1
 gcolor2
 WID=`xdotool search --name "Clean Google Calendar" | tail -n 1`
 xdotool windowminimize $WID &
 WID=`xdotool search --name "Clean Google Calendar" | tail -n 1`
 #xdotool windowminimize $WID &
 #sleep 1
 xdotool windowkill $WID &
 sleep 2
ps aux|grep -i magodclodecbbnbdfpmoehfdddkhlfmm| awk {'print $2'} | xargs kill -9
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

If you want a real client side that works offline, the way to go would be last Evolution/Kontact or mozilla lightning apps..

I think the one that best manage calendars is Evolution.. You need last version to avoid issues with google calendar provider; so I would go for a flatpak version here, that will garantee we are always close to date with the API dataconnection.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.Evolution
flatpak install flathub org.gnome.Evolution

I also installed evolution to manage my gmail calendars in the client side (desktop).:

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...