Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need to go stable

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Huyen John

Need to go stable

#1 Post by Huyen John »

Hi, I work as software project leader/software architect for a small Microsoft-products based company, I have had some success to introduce Open Source to the company.
We use Bugzilla, mediawiki and subversion. Previous we did run these programs on a Windows 2003 server but since autumn 2009 we are using Debian64 as server.
Because the packages for Bugzilla and Subversion was older than the ones we used on our Windows 2003 server and no backports existed we were forced to use Debian unstable/SID - please don't come with jokes about how foolish that was, I know its not recommended, but we didn't have a choice . We have had NO problem with unstable, and we do daily backups on the data. But of course I want to use the stable version.

I haven't done apt/synaptic updates in month, so I would think the "testing" distribution has been updated with most of the packages.
Is it possible to try to change the repositories to "testing/squeeze" when the big "Freeze" begins in March? And if its possible, can I transform my testing to squeeze when squeeze is released?

Soul Singin'

Re: Need to go stable

#2 Post by Soul Singin' »

Huyen John wrote:since autumn 2009 we are using Debian64 as server.
Sounds like your server has been up and running for quite some time.
Huyen John wrote:Because the packages for Bugzilla and Subversion was older than the ones we used on our Windows 2003 server and no backports existed we were forced to use Debian unstable/SID
It's usually possible to backport packages yourself. Here's a nice guide that explains how to build a package from source.
Huyen John wrote:Is it possible to try to change the repositories to "testing/squeeze" when the big "Freeze" begins in March? And if its possible, can I transform my testing to squeeze when squeeze is released?
Squeeze was released in February 2011. Long-term support ended in February 2016.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Some things about this post seem like it came straight through a time warp from 2012. :?:
MX Linux packager and developer

Soul Singin'

#4 Post by Soul Singin' »

stevepusser wrote:Some things about this post seem like it came straight through a time warp from 2012. :?:
Indeed. You have to wonder what wormhole this post emerged from.

He says that he set up the server in Autumn 2009 and refers to a freeze beginning in March. Squeeze was frozen in August 2010. So if his time frame was correct at the time when he wrote the original post, he must have written it somewhere between "Autumn 2009" and "March" 2010.

One date that falls into that range is November 19, 2009, which makes me wonder if a clock was incorrectly set 10 years into the future, causing the post to emerge from the wormhole on November 19, 2019. Is that possible?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

My local cinema had a showing of Back To The Future the other day and had a genuine replica of Doc's Delorean parked out the front, Flux Capacitor and all. Maybe OP borrowed it!
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Mr. Lumbergh

#6 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

sunrat wrote:My local cinema had a showing of Back To The Future the other day and had a genuine replica of Doc's Delorean parked out the front, Flux Capacitor and all. Maybe OP borrowed it!
Oh man, I want one too if that's the case.