Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privileges

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Wayland,Synaptic continue without administrative privile

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur wrote:Regarding to Wayland, please show me any noticeable improvement in user experience
It manages tear-free compositing without inducing lag for window dragging operations.
deadbang

giaur

#22 Post by giaur »

Sorry for offtopic, but I tried Plasma with Wayland on Sid. So I installed Plasma and plasma wayland related packages. Then I choosed Plasma from ligthdm menu (not even sure if wayland used? ) and I got broken desktop as a result, no window decorations, I am not even sure if Wayland used (how could it be while lightdm starts X session). Anyway, no more test performed, I uninstalled Plasma and returned to Cinnamon (my own 4.2.1 build), which works without any issues and it's not as fat as Plasma (install Plasma - 800 MB disk space used, Cinnamon 30 MB).

Wheelerof4te

#23 Post by Wheelerof4te »

To install Wayland session on Plasma in Sid, you just need this command:

Code: Select all

apt install plasma-workspace-wayland
Then choose Plasma (Wayland) from SDDM.
giaur wrote:So I installed Plasma and plasma wayland related packages.
You clearly didn't. And as HoaS said, you keep being ignorant.

giaur

#24 Post by giaur »

And you keep being rude, no reason for that, calm down

markjacob

#25 Post by markjacob »

Deb-fan wrote:Read the docs or run under Xorg VS Wayland. Though better than these, great time to learn cli package management as all true gnu/nix gawds prefer it. Everytime someone fires up a gui like Synaptic to manage packages, somewhere in the world a kitten bursts into flames. Folks will have to live with that! :)
I am agree but I disagree too, because I was trying to build nemo-dropbox. which required some libraries. when I tried to do apt install libraryname, it said "could not be found" maybe because every package needs a repository(like we have ppa) but I found all libraries in syaptic.(was not able to install due to wayland issue). so this time I think synaptic is the solution to my problem.
One more thing I noticed is that every single command is "not found" and every single package is "unable to locate" I am using linux(mint, elementary and ubuntu) for 3 years, dont know much about linux, but still most of the time I used cli to install uninstall. I think debian will be hard for me.

Dai_trying

#26 Post by Dai_trying »

markjacob wrote:when I tried to do apt install libraryname, it said "could not be found" maybe because every package needs a repository(like we have ppa) but I found all libraries in syaptic.(was not able to install due to wayland issue). so this time I think synaptic is the solution to my problem.
One more thing I noticed is that every single command is "not found" and every single package is "unable to locate" I am using linux(mint, elementary and ubuntu) for 3 years, dont know much about linux, but still most of the time I used cli to install uninstall. I think debian will be hard for me.
you could install the package command-not-found which will help when issuing commands that are not installed.

apt install command-not-found

dai@busterlt:~$ splash

Command 'splash' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install splash

dai@busterlt:~$ splosh

Command 'splosh' not found, did you mean:

command 'splash' from deb splash

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

markjacob

#27 Post by markjacob »

Dai_trying wrote:
markjacob wrote:when I tried to do apt install libraryname, it said "could not be found" maybe because every package needs a repository(like we have ppa) but I found all libraries in syaptic.(was not able to install due to wayland issue). so this time I think synaptic is the solution to my problem.
you could install the package command-not-found which will help when issuing commands that are not installed.

apt install command-not-found

dai@busterlt:~$ splash

Command 'splash' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install splash

dai@busterlt:~$ splosh

Command 'splosh' not found, did you mean:

command 'splash' from deb splash

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

:shock: you are wonderful. . this is what I wanted to say that ubuntu and linux mint has this feature. thanks for that.

Dai_trying

#28 Post by Dai_trying »

You are welcome :D

L_V

#29 Post by L_V »

giaur wrote:Hopefully, there are many opinions and I can choose what I want to use and what I don't want. You don't like any gui and you wish to do everything in terminal, ok your choice. I have never had any problems with updating with Synaptic, it always does the same packages upgrade as apt in cli.
Regarding to Wayland, please show me any noticeable improvement in user experience other than some stuff not compatible anymore. I think Wayland will eventually replace Xorg (unless other better solution will be created), but not yet. Afaik only Gnome3 and Plasma currently support Wayland. It's still being worked on and it's not stable yet.
Small comment.
1 - to not install a complete KDE desktop including Kmail+Korganizer etc ... , you have to install with "no-recommends' option which you can set generally:
create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50norecommends with

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
2 - you don't only need plasma-workspace-wayland , but also kwin-wayland window manager
Start with plasma-desktop kwin-wayland xwayland plasma-nm

In session manager, you will have Plasma and Plasma-wayland choices (you cannot remove plasma, or probably by removing kwin-x11 but did not try).

I have tried plasma Wayland, but didn't insist because it seems impossible to use a mouse middle-click for copy-pasting.
Did not understand why this seems so complicated to implement for Wayland team.
Well, X11 is fine to me.
A bit off-topic, but not completely.

The permissions are managed by policykit-1.
Gnome is using a specific one, policykit-1-gnome , which can explain some differences in the feedback from KDE and gnome.

manelinux

#30 Post by manelinux »

just do:
cd
mkdir bin
cd bin
touch wynaptic (just for fun)
nano wynaptic

add a line with : xhost +si:localuser:root && sudo synaptic

ctrl+x and exit
chmod +x wynaptic

call it.

synaptic works perfectly with wayland.

Bye.

Dai_trying

#31 Post by Dai_trying »

Just a note that this would not be called from a personal bin folder without a reboot (or maybe log out/in) as system does not check this folders existence (and add it to $PATH) in real time, only at startup

Head_on_a_Stick

#32 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Dai_trying wrote:Just a note that this would not be called from a personal bin folder without a reboot (or maybe log out/in) as system does not check this folders existence (and add it to $PATH) in real time, only at startup
Just logging out & back in again should do it, ~/.profile adds ~/bin to PATH automatically if it exists.
deadbang

Dai_trying

#33 Post by Dai_trying »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Just logging out & back in again should do it, ~/.profile adds ~/bin to PATH automatically if it exists.
Yes, my point exactly :)

manelinux

#34 Post by manelinux »

it's not necessary to logout or reboot,
first of all, in my laptop, the personal folder bin was recognized without any special action, the bash completion, in my case, recognize the bin personal folder
this is a part of user file .profile at home
------
# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
fi
-------
in other case, just add the bin folder to the PATH and run:

source .profile

bye.

Head_on_a_Stick

#35 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manelinux wrote:it's not necessary to logout or reboot,
first of all, in my laptop, the personal folder bin was recognized without any special action, the bash completion, in my case, recognize the bin personal folder
Yes, that's because you already had ~/bin
manelinux wrote:in other case, just add the bin folder to the PATH and run:

source .profile
That won't work for all shells:

E485:~$ source ~/.profile
loksh: source: not found
E485:~127$ 
Better to suggest the POSIX version:

. ~/.profile
But even then you would have to run that command for every new shell that was opened so it would be better to log out & back in again.
deadbang

manelinux

#36 Post by manelinux »

i dont know why your have not source command friend.
The source command can be used to load any functions file into the current shell script or a command prompt without logout before.
Used to refresh the current shell environment, the source command can also be used in order to import functions into other bash scripts or to run scripts into the current shell environment.

try it.
make a new directory called whatever, put there the file, add this directory to path and run source.
i'm not inventing nothing.

and in this case, we are only adding a folder to the path env var. nothing special.

bye

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

manelinux wrote:i dont know why your have not source command friend.
It's a bashism and so is not supported by all shells. The POSIX equivalent of source is . (dot) and that is supported by all shells.
deadbang

manelinux

#38 Post by manelinux »

Yeah! nice note!

i see, loksh is a port of OpenBSD, that's recommended for a resource-constrained systems
Nice to know friend, Thx.

bye

rulet

#39 Post by rulet »

I have Debian 10 installed and synaptic works under administrative privileges under wayland gnome session... How can it be?
Debian 10, 64 bit, Gnome 3.30.2, Intel Core i3-6100 CPU 3.70GHz, 8GB RAM.

Head_on_a_Stick

#40 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

rulet wrote:How can it be?
Are you sure that Wayland is running? https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... being-used

Synaptic will start under Wayland in my buster system but it runs without root privileges.

EDIT: I can start synaptic as root by using

xhost +local:
sudo synaptic
But don't try this at home folks! :mrgreen:

And if you do then remember to reset the permissions afterwards:

xhost -local:
deadbang