Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

problem starting x after switching from nvidia to nouveau

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Deb.Benutzer

problem starting x after switching from nvidia to nouveau

#1 Post by Deb.Benutzer »

Hello all

I have a problem starting X (xfce) after booting my computer.

Background:
I was using Stretch with proprietary nvidia driver(s) and xfce since fresh installing stretch a yaer ago (or so).

A few days ago I dicided to upgrade to Buster (was fine) and after that I decided to try out switching to the oss nouveau driver(s). Quite some time I wasn't able to start X generally.
I tried several howtos to configure my system for nouveau with Xorg and currently I am able to start X manually from console after

Code: Select all

modprobe nouveau

I didn't find a solution for usable configuration on freedesktop.org (neither nouveau nor on Xorg pages). :-(

Can anybody point me to the correct direction to load the nouveau driver during boot process (whether kernel or Xorg) so that xsession manager present me a graphical login screen after booting the computer (non standard vga using the connected bigger screen).

What I did/tried last (AFAIR):
  • removing

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    as this seems disturbing nouveau
  • adding 'nouveau' to

/etc/modules
    list
  • several locations for some driver parts of nouveau
Regards

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: problem starting x after switching from nvidia to nouvea

#2 Post by CwF »

Check to see what the config is thinking

~#  modprobe -c | grep nouveau
Ensure no blacklist remnants. You could try purging '*nvidia*' and reinstall nouveau in one step for the auto reconfig. There is no need for xorg.conf, the module should load without the extra mention in /etc/modules, so remove that for clarity - it's not hurting anything though...

Deb.Benutzer

Re: problem starting x after switching from nvidia to nouvea

#3 Post by Deb.Benutzer »

Thanks a lot CwF

blacklist nouveau
alias pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc*i* nouveau
alias pci:v000012D2d*sv*sd*bc03sc*i* nouveau
What should I say...

I meant I was shure the blacklisting was negatively proven below
/etc/modprobe.d/xxx.conf

BUT:
There really was an entry left for nouveau.

After removing / commenting that line my Debian is booting as expected. :idea: :)