Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Light Browser

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zadiste

Light Browser

#1 Post by zadiste »

Has anyone had any luck installing the Light browser (aka Firefox Lite) on their system? It seems like it might not be maintained anymore, but there is an RPM available through SourceForge. I haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid of borking my system with it. Has anyone had success with it?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Light Browser

#2 Post by arochester »

Light Firefox is discontinued.

Alternatives here: https://alternativeto.net/software/ligh ... form=linux

darkness44

#3 Post by darkness44 »

i recommend brave

Danielsan

#4 Post by Danielsan »

If you use these extensions for Firefox you dramatically reduces the weight of the web pages and you make Firefox more responsive:
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ublock Origin
  • Disconnect
  • Decentraleyes
Plus the ones incorporated in Firefox. Otherwise a good alternative is Midori though some security issues with WebkitGTK.
Last edited by Danielsan on 2019-11-26 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

debbieanne

#6 Post by debbieanne »

Danielsan wrote:If you use these extensions for Firefox you dramatically reduces the weight of the web pages and you make Firefox more responsive:
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ublock Origin
  • Disconnect
  • Decentraleyes
These are certainly the best candidates for privacy and speed, but they overlap in their efforts and as Disconnect advises, some of them won't work as advertised if the others are present. Therefore, I nominate Ublock Origin, Firefox itself, and Decentraleyes as able to work together. Privacy Badger has the advantage of not needing block lists or configuration. I don't know about Disconnect, but I will study it. Thanks for the reference. I hope that eventually Firefox will be able to do all these functions.

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

zadiste wrote:Has anyone had any luck installing the Light browser (aka Firefox Lite) on their system? It seems like it might not be maintained anymore, but there is an RPM available through SourceForge. I haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid of borking my system with it. Has anyone had success with it?
If you want a light browser, you must go for an old one.... Im using Operav42 since years, and still doing it, just cos new javascript engines eats a lot of CPU, and my laptop is from 2008. I just once a weak or so clean the home browswer profile with rsync to clean it and prevent any possible worm..,I also blocked extensions in browser with chattr so no hacker cant install anything in remote thought a hole or security bug.

here, the script i use with opera to clean up the config home.:
opeinit

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
export bootop=/home/user/LINUXDEBS/browsers

killall opera
killall opera

sudo chattr +i $bootop/opera/Extensions/ $bootop/opera.bak/Extensions/
cp -f $bootop/opera/Bookmarks* $bootop/opera.bak/
cp -f $bootop/opera/Bookmarks* /home/user/LINUXDEBS/scripts/operaBookmarks/
sudo rsync -aAXv --delete $bootop/opera.bak/ $bootop/opera/
And to update source, opera backup.:
opeupd

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
bootop=/home/user/LINUXDEBS/browsers/
killall opera
killall opera -9
sudo chattr +i $bootop/opera/Extensions/ $bootop/opera.bak/Extensions/
cp -f $bootop/opera/Bookmarks* /home/user/LINUXDEBS/scripts/operaBookmarks/
rsync -aAXv --delete  $bootop/opera/ $bootop/opera.bak/
And So far so good :roll: 8)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Since any superlight browser seems to be suggested here: netsurf, either from the repos, or newer versions here: http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/n/netsurf/
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

I thinks this might be a great option for someone looking for a light browser
SeaMonkey 2.53.1 uses the same backend as Firefox and contains the relevant Firefox 60.3 security fixes.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas ... key2.53.1/
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...