Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Wifi Drivers on Intel NUC

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nesti

Installing Wifi Drivers on Intel NUC

#1 Post by nesti »

Hi,
I installed Debian 10.2.0 XFCE on my Intel Nuc but I can't see a Wifi Card / Connection. After googling a bit I found this support page from Intel. As I have a NUC8i5 I found out that my card is a "Intel® Wireless-AC 9560". I downloaded the specific driver on my USB and I'm gonna try to get it running this evening when I get home.

My problem is that the file is a .tgz. I am a bloody noob when it comes to Linux and I'm still in a big learning process. The page says that I need to copy the files into "/lib/firmware" (or if the directory doesn't work, refer to your distribution documentation). Is it enough to just extract the file into that directory or do I have to install them?

thanks for the help.

nesti

fred44nl

Re: Installing Wifi Drivers on Intel NUC

#2 Post by fred44nl »

What you need is the firmware file for the adapter.
In Debian 10, you'll first need to enable the non-free part of Debian repository if you didn't enable it when installing Debian in the first place.

then install the firmware-iwlwifi package using your favorite package management utility, then reboot and the driver should be auto-loaded and ready for use.

what does your /etc/apt/sources.list look like ??

it should be something like this:
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
Debian 10 - Buster on Compulab Fitlet2
Debian 12 - Bookworm on Acer Spin 1

nesti

#3 Post by nesti »

Hi,
I'll check my sources.list this evening.
In a Youtube Video about the Intel drivers I saw that I should add contrib non-free to ever line. (if it's not there)

thanks alot for your answer.

nesti

nesti

#4 Post by nesti »

I just saw that there is a Live + non Free Image.
debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso

I guess this will fix the problem without manually installing the drivers.

I will check this out this evening on the live boot, if it works there it should work on the installation too.

thanks alot for the help

nesti

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

It's a lot less trouble just to download the deb file directly from this page (read the whole page), then install it from a terminal as root or with sudo:

Code: Select all

dpkg -i <name-of-the-deb-file-here>
IDK about GNOME, but most other DEs I use let you drag and drop the deb file into the terminal to let you avoid typing out its name and possible typos, or there's also tab-complete (hit the Tab key to autocomplete long file names)
MX Linux packager and developer

nesti

#6 Post by nesti »

Hi thx for the help.
I saw this package to but the model wasn't listed so I thought to search for the good one.
I reinstalled debian now with the non Free Live iso.
Works perfectly now.

thnaks alot for the help and the tips

nesti