Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help for customizing the installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Jambo

Help for customizing the installation

#1 Post by Jambo »

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry for my English but it's not my main language.
I'm kinda new to Linux, and I was wondering if it'possibile to avoid the automatic installation of the nvidia nouveau driver during the installation of the SO. Actually y have downloaded the DVD version of debian 10.2 with non free firmware, on a USB device using Rufus.
I'm asking because I have huge problem installing proprietaries nvidia driver cause by the nouveau kernel module that I couldn't find a solution for and it would really help me.

stevepusser

Re: Help for customizing the installation

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Please follow the Debian wiki instructions to install the Nvidia driver from the non-free section of the repository. This will blacklist the nouveau driver automatically to avoid your huge problem.

You should first install inxi and let us know the result of "inxi -G" in the terminal. This is to avoid any issues with bleeding-edge hardware, or hybrid graphics setups like Optimus, which complicate the issue.
MX Linux packager and developer

Jambo

#3 Post by Jambo »

Hi,
I already tried to follow the wiki but couldn't find out how to make it work. I tried multiple ways (even unofficial guide) but i always had to reinstall debian as result.
Your command gives me this output
"Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVE7 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.6"
Not sure it's right, i should have an intel integrated graphics card on the processor.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Desktops often disable the integrated GPU in favor of the discrete one.

First, you must set up your system to build drivers. This is easy, just (as sysadmin--root or sudo)

Code: Select all

apt install module-asistant nvidia-detect
m-a prepare
Then run "nvidia-detect" so see what driver you should be using for your card. If the standard "nvidia-driver", first just try the module-build to see if it succeeds. You have to actually watch the output to make sure it doesn't error out someplace.

Code: Select all

apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms
If successful, go ahead and install nvidia-driver, if that's what it needs.
MX Linux packager and developer