Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia xorg config 'breaking' after login

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
gettengud

nvidia xorg config 'breaking' after login

#1 Post by gettengud »

Hello all,

I'm generally speaking a new linux user though I've been in and out many times and I have a sort of vague understanding of what I'm doing.

I have an nVidia graphics card and the standard nvidia driver package worked for me, saving settings works beautifully and I saved a copy to /etc/x11/xorg.conf and after a few false starts, I got it working....

only on the login screen does the monitor setting appear perfectly.

After I login, it seems the settings under the settings>display configuration for debian kick in and these don't work for me at all, I can't drag windows from one screen to another, for example.

The only way to fix it is to make a change to the nvidia-settings that is large enough to force the display to redraw and give you the 'press okay to keep these settings' prompt, at which point my good settings will be retained until I log back in.

Is there a way I can prevent this settings override from taking place (everything seems fine up until this point, is monitors.xml related?)
Or maybe is there a way for me to force the nvidia settings to reload the /etc/x11/xorg.conf to 'reload' via a command so that I can automate it... So far the only way to get it is to make some substantial change like the positions of the screens so it isn't just a matter of hitting refresh.

The good /etc/x11/xorg.conf file always remains untouched.

stevepusser

Re: nvidia xorg config 'breaking' after login

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Could you please tell us how you installed the "standard nvidia driver package"? It's not clean if you installed it the "Debian Way",(yay) or from a .run file from Nvidia. (boo hiss)
MX Linux packager and developer

gettengud

Re: nvidia xorg config 'breaking' after login

#3 Post by gettengud »

Shoot sorry
I used the nvidia-detect first which told me to install the nvidia-driver via the information here:
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

However since I last posted something has changed.

I'm not having any of the problems I had before on boot, it appears to have solved itself. I'm not having the glaring issues and my desktop alignment and everything seem perfect, all I did was finish removing the windows install on the other partition and moving some data around on different drives- I wasn't even on the linux install...

I wish I could get some closure on this but I'm afraid I don't know enough to figure out what happened. I'm going to keep reading and see what I can see but I'm just glad I'm functioning!
Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time.

I feel like this thread isn't helpful, should I remove it or mark SOLVED or USELESS? lol