Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VLC problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sjsj

VLC problem

#1 Post by sjsj »

Hello,

Sorry, I speak a little English.

If I click the VLC icon in left panel in Debian 10, not show the application window and if I try play the movie file (.avi) not see the application window. I can run only the terminal in vlc command in Debian 10. If I restart the PC the problem is solved, but only sometimes, not always.

uname -a

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux sos 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (2019-11-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsb_release -a

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:	10
Codename:	buster
vlc

vlc
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
vlc --version

vlc --version
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
VLC 3.0.8 Vetinari (3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7) verzió
Forrásból fordította buildd ezen: x86-csail-01.debian.org (Aug 20 2019 18:34:42)
Fordítóprogram: gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)
A programra NINCS GARANCIA, a hatályos jogszabályok által engedélyezett mértékig.
Tovább terjesztheti a GNU General Public License feltételei alapján;
további információ a COPYING fájlban olvasható.
Írta a VideoLAN csapat; lásd az AUTHORS fájlt.
/var/log/syslog

pastebin.ubuntu.com

Anything else?

Please help me. Thanks!

stevepusser

Re: VLC problem

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Sounds like a video problem in GNOME. Have you tried starting GNOME in xorg mode, or installing a small, different DE like XFCE alongside GNOME, to see how VLC works there?

You can also try starting vlc with the suggested "QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland" to see if that helps. I think that a websearch will show you how to add it to the vlc command, since I don't remember exactly.
MX Linux packager and developer

sjsj

#3 Post by sjsj »

stevepusser wrote:QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
I'm sorry, but I had no time try this and I would not like XFCE or other. Not just a problem for me. Please see: forum.videolan.org

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

sjsj wrote:
stevepusser wrote:QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
I'm sorry, but I had no time try this and I would not like XFCE or other. Not just a problem for me. Please see: forum.videolan.org
Sorry, but no one here gets paid for their time helping others either. It's a shame that you couldn't take literally just a couple minutes to install and try XFCE to narrow it down to a GNOME issue.
MX Linux packager and developer

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

what does
A VLC futtatása az alapértelmezett felülettel. A VLC felület nélküli használatához használja a „cvlc” parancsot.
mean?

Chrisdb

#6 Post by Chrisdb »

pylkko wrote:what does
A VLC futtatása az alapértelmezett felülettel. A VLC felület nélküli használatához használja a „cvlc” parancsot.
mean?
From google translate (hungarian to english):

Run VLC with the default interface. To use the VLC without the interface, use the "cvlc" command
:D

There's another error:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
is this a snap install of VLC player?