Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bios update

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Kenshin Himura

Re: Bios update

#21 Post by Kenshin Himura »

The first method can't be used at my problem cause lenovo doesn't offer an iso with the update only an exe.
The second method is what i thought i should try but I'm afraid if something happens with booting from USB the windows and it ends into ****** my laptop.
Thanks for answering

shep

#22 Post by shep »

You are on new ground with this.
I would be nice if Lenovo Support would provide some of the previously referenced bios update paths. I would consider contacting Lenovo support with that question and also raising it in their forums. Lenovo's linux support is not ideal but is better than some other manufactures.

Since the the BIOS update addresses cve-2019-6171, I would investigate what recovery options are available and do an internet search on using Live Windows to update Lenovo Bios for all their products.

I would download agcn25ww.exe and try to extract it with cabextract/inoextract. In windows, this would be a self extracting file that may contain the actual bios update and another *exe utility that will run in freedos.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade for details
Last edited by shep on 2020-01-28 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kenshin Himura

#23 Post by Kenshin Himura »

shep wrote:You are on new ground with this.
I would be nice if Lenovo Support would provide some of the previously referenced bios update paths. I would consider contacting Lenovo supports with that question and also raising it in their forums. Lenovo's linux support is not ideal but is better than some other manufactures.

Since the the BIOS update addresses cve-2019-6171, I would investigate what recovery options are available and do an internet search on using Live Windows to update Lenovo Bios for all their products.

I would download agcn25ww.exe and try to extract it with cabextract/inoextract. In windows, this would be a self extracting file that may contain the actual bios update and another *exe utility that will run in freedos.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade for details
I love you ❤️

dvk

#24 Post by dvk »

no way

esp7

#25 Post by esp7 »

Kenshin Himura wrote: The lenovo gives nothing but an exe at their site to update the bios, so... Your way i think can't be useful.
sorry, this is incorrect, lenovo provides for their machines bios updates in the form of iso bios images. hereby example for one of my machines:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/be/en/prod ... s/DS018807

the exe binary you are refering to is lenovo's bios update utility for windows but does not include the actual bios image. with the iso bios image it is a 5min job to update your machine and it will be more safe than the windows update utility:

install geteltorito
$ sudo apt-get install genisoimage

extract bios update
$ geteltorito -o bios_update.img lenovobios.iso

put bios image on an USB key
$ sudo dd if=bios_update.img of=/dev/sdx with x whatever it is on your machine

reboot from usb key and update the bios
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Kenshin Himura

#26 Post by Kenshin Himura »

[quote="esp7"][quote="Kenshin Himura"]

For my pc there is no iso file, only an exe, read the topic before you reply.

pylkko

#27 Post by pylkko »

Are you sure the exe file is not a self-extracting archive with the .iso image inside?

What make and model is your laptop? I tried to find the answer in this thread, but somehow not finding it.

esp7

#28 Post by esp7 »

pylkko wrote:Are you sure the exe file is not a self-extracting archive with the .iso image inside?

What make and model is your laptop? I tried to find the answer in this thread, but somehow not finding it.

exactly, if we know the model of his machine we could really help
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

shep

#29 Post by shep »

The threads originator expressed frustration that his posts were not being read. I agree.
@Kenshin Himura second post in this thread:
Thank you all for helping. The laptop is the c340 14api with ryzen 3200u

esp7

#30 Post by esp7 »

shep wrote:The threads originator expressed frustration that his posts were not being read. I agree.
@Kenshin Himura second post in this thread:
Thank you all for helping. The laptop is the c340 14api with ryzen 3200u

It would have helped to clarify this important information in the 1st post which everyone starts reading when diving into a topic :wink: Everyone was guessing and sharing info. The whole confusion is coming from posting a support question with almost no info. So he should use innoextract to extract the windows self-extracting archive, but the latest version of innoextract which is not available in Debian stable and follow below detailed guide on how to flash Ideapad bios within linux:
https://medium.com/@BladeCoder/flash-yo ... 2e455ea29c

you're welcome