Virtual Box 6.1.0 backported from Sid to Buster here

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Virtual Box 6.1.0 backported from Sid to Buster here

Postby stevepusser » 2019-12-16 20:46

Virtual Box 6.1.0 backported from Sid to Buster in one of my OBS repos: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... box-buster
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.5, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Openshot 2.5.0, Telegram-desktop 1.9.14, LibreOffice 6.4.1~rc1
stevepusser

Re: Virtual Box 6.1.0 backported from Sid to Buster here

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-12-17 15:23

I'm really sorry Steve but I'm just going to have leave the bug report that got VB excised from the stable release here as a warning to other forum users:

virtualbox: might not be suitable for stable releases due to lack of cooperation from upstream on security support for older releases

It was removed for a very good reason and probably shouldn't be used. By anybody.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Virtual Box 6.1.0 backported from Sid to Buster here

Postby esp7 » 2020-01-09 00:31

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I'm really sorry Steve but I'm just going to have leave the bug report that got VB excised from the stable release here as a warning to other forum users:

virtualbox: might not be suitable for stable releases due to lack of cooperation from upstream on security support for older releases

It was removed for a very good reason and probably shouldn't be used. By anybody.

interesting, why would oracle policy forbid to release detailed CVE patches for opensourced software? i don't get it :shock:

Oracle Security Vulnerability Disclosure Policies

In order to prevent undue risks to our customers, Oracle will not provide additional information about the specifics of vulnerabilities beyond what is provided in the Critical Patch Update (or Security Alert) advisory and prerelease note, the preinstallation notes, the readme files, and FAQs. Furthermore, Oracle provides its customers with the same information in order to protect all customers equally. Oracle does not provide advance notification to individual customers. Finally, Oracle does not develop or distribute active exploit code (or proof of concept code) for vulnerabilities in our products.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
esp7

Return to Desktop & Multimedia