Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

backup/export MATE desktop configurations

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
faziopesce

backup/export MATE desktop configurations

#1 Post by faziopesce »

Hi, I'd like to know how can I export/backup all MATE desktop configurations in order to use them in a clean install. Which are all the configurations path that I have to backup?
I'd prefer if you link me complete docs and wiki about this topics instead of "raw configurations path".
Thanks

shep

Re: backup/export MATE desktop configurations

#2 Post by shep »

There has been an attempt to standardize all user config files into ~/.config/. That said, some older apps still use hidden rc files/directories. For example vim -> ~/.vimrc. Older mpd versions used ~/.mpdconf., Firefox -> ~/.mozilla/, Chromium -> ~/.config/chromium/, Sylpheed -> ~/.sylpheed-2.0/. So the answer is it depends on what you have installed.

I usually make a dot-old configs folder in ~/.config and copy those hidden files to it.

Bulkley

Re: backup/export MATE desktop configurations

#3 Post by Bulkley »

I generally copy the whole /home directory and everything in it to a USB drive. I also copy any special configurations I need such as /etc/network/interfaces. I may not need all of what I saved but at least I have it available.

You are smart to think about this ahead of time; it can save a lot of panic later on.