Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to install a minimal KDE ?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
faziopesce

how to install a minimal KDE ?

#1 Post by faziopesce »

Hi, I'd like to install a minimal kde on a debian 10 installation, should I follow this "guide" on https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00854.html (it's a bit old)? I'd like to get a similar configuration (without konqueror etc..) but installing other tools like okular,kdenlive,spectacle,ark and kwrite on it.

Will I get dependence problems that will force me to install konqueror and other kde applications? If yes, is there a safe way to force a more "modular" installation of kde apps I want?
Can you suggest me some resources and documentations about my problem? I don't want to install kde metapackages suggested by debian wiki because they contains a subset of programs I don't use.

roseway

Re: how to install a minimal KDE ?

#2 Post by roseway »

You could try

Code: Select all

apt install -s <list of kde programs you want>
and see what happens.
Eric

L_V

#3 Post by L_V »

faziopesce wrote:how to install a minimal KDE ?
1] disable recommends
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50norecommends

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
2]

apt update
apt install plasma-desktop kwin-x11 sddm haveged konsole plasma-nm systemsettings dolphin kate
and then, install what you need.

faziopesce

#4 Post by faziopesce »

L_V wrote:
faziopesce wrote:how to install a minimal KDE ?
1] disable recommends

Is this a good and sustainable change?
Could you link me all the wiki/documentations to understand what this change entails and how I will have to maintain the system with this "subset of a metapackage" in order to don't break debian?

Thanks

L_V

#5 Post by L_V »

You can have a look here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=104157

You will not break anything with 'no recommends'. I always do minimal install with no-recommends.
When you make a minimal install, you are supposed to estimate what you need, what is really necessary for you.
+ see

man apt-get
--no-install-recommends
    Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing. Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends. 
+ check dependencies if necessary

apt depends plasma-desktop
If you don't want to modify apt configuration, you can always add '--no-install-recommends' option at each "apt-get install'.
If you become lazy, you will configure apt globally.

jackdaws

#6 Post by jackdaws »

L_V wrote: disable recommends

2]

apt update
apt install plasma-desktop kwin-x11 sddm haveged konsole plasma-nm systemsettings dolphin kate
and then, install what you need.
I've tried that in the past. By disabling "recommends" you'll end up having to manually install most of the no-longer-recommended packages, simply in order to get KDE to function properly, and it can get complicated/messy. There used to be years ago a way to get a good kde minimal set up by setting an option during debian install. Sadly, that's no longer the case.

I've had some success installing debian with no desktop, and then (using aptitude in my case, with "recommends" set as default) going into the kde metapackage dependency list and maually installing plasma-desktop plus xorg and any individual sub-packages of kde standard, such as gwenview, k3b, parts of kde-admin, and any other must-have packages to get as minimal a set-up as I wanted. That way, core packages such as konsole, dolphin, etc, get pulled in by the "recommends" setting anyway, but very little else that I don't want.

I can't remember the details, but you might give it a go, but you'll have to keep your eyes out to make sure that you get all that you do want - and that the not wanted kitchen sink that comes with kde doesn't end up being installed as well.
Perfectionism is an imperfection

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

faziopesce wrote:Is this a good and sustainable change?
I definitely don't recommend it to you, and certainly not in a place like KDE. Why? Because KDE applications will not function as they should. You will need to find out what packages are missing and install them. All this complicates matters. This method is suitable when you are using a really minimal system with a window manager on top on it. For example, I used this method when constructing my own system with Notion wm on top on it. Now i have system with 865 packages.

If you want reduce Debian, you can check this link:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

L_V

#8 Post by L_V »

I never had any problem with 'no-recommends", and I always install like this to get a minimal KDE, which is the question.
There are 3 levels of package dependencies:
1 - depends
2 - recommends
3 - suggested

If you don't want to take time to analyse exactly what you need, just don't do it, and forget minimal install.

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

faziopesce wrote:Hi, I'd like to install a minimal kde on a debian 10 installation, should I follow this "guide" on https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00854.html (it's a bit old)? I'd like to get a similar configuration (without konqueror etc..) but installing other tools like okular,kdenlive,spectacle,ark and kwrite on it.

Will I get dependence problems that will force me to install konqueror and other kde applications? If yes, is there a safe way to force a more "modular" installation of kde apps I want?
Can you suggest me some resources and documentations about my problem? I don't want to install kde metapackages suggested by debian wiki because they contains a subset of programs I don't use.
I tell you what I always do, I go for a debian-kde based distro.. and then I drop non debian repositories.. In tyour case I very recommend you (Ive installed recentlly) :
Netrunner (version Core)
Here is an overview of Core:
based on Debian Stable
ships a reduced selection of pre-installed apps, including Dolphin, Synaptic and Update Manager
comes with the ESR version of Firefox
NoVNC is pre-installed (simply open a browser and go to “live-pc:5900”, username:live/pwd:live to access Netrunner Core from your browser)
Plasma Services KCM: Easy to activate/deactivate Core Plasma Services, like Kwallet, Akonadi or Baloo
Simple Menu: A new menu that resembles ChromeOS for fast browsing the available applications

https://www.netrunner.com/netrunner-core/
>> Once installed drop non debian repositories (upgrade, and dist-upgrade to stable 10 or something like that), almost all packages (99%) belongs to debian so no big deal

Very good Distro , by the way :o
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by None1975 »

L_V wrote:I never had any problem with 'no-recommends", and I always install like this to get a minimal KDE, which is the question.
There are 3 levels of package dependencies:
1 - depends
2 - recommends
3 - suggested
You don't really need to quote this. I know that.
L_V wrote:If you don't want to take time to analyse exactly what you need, just don't do it, and forget minimal install.
Recommended packages extend the capabilities of applications. Without them, KDe programs will not function properly. You can also read Debian bug reports. Maybe then you will realize what a mess can cause

apt install --no-install recomends
Especially with KDE packages. Also, minimal system and KDe are not synonymous.
L_V wrote:I never had any problem with 'no-recommends"
I am sincerely happy for you. Really. However, judging from the question asked TS, the author's experience will not be as good as yours.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

L_V

#11 Post by L_V »

None1975 wrote:KDe programs will not function properly. You can also read Debian bug reports. Maybe then you will realize what a mess
A mess ???
I've always made for years netinstall with xorg and minimal KDE install with "no recommends".
Never seen any "bug".
I just progressively add what I need: this is my choice.
During development phase it can happen that dependencies are not 100% managed.
Real necessary dependencies are normally 100% fine on a stable release.

However, I remember I've spent some time with 'haveged' package which was necessary for me to start sddm.
And that's all.