Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ubuntu vs Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
crunchor

Ubuntu vs Debian

#1 Post by crunchor »

Which one is the best and why?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Ubuntu vs Debian

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

:roll:

sgage

#3 Post by sgage »

C'mon, what's with this rash of 'what's the best' posts lately? There is no 'best' distro, there is no 'best' DE, etc., etc. What's 'best' is simply what's best for you. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

That said, Debian is the best. :lol:

crunchor

#4 Post by crunchor »

sgage wrote:C'mon, what's with this rash of 'what's the best' posts lately? There is no 'best' distro, there is no 'best' DE, etc., etc. What's 'best' is simply what's best for you. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

That said, Debian is the best. :lol:
This is a VS post not the best post.
There is always the best one.

neuraleskimo

#5 Post by neuraleskimo »

crunchor wrote:This is a VS post not the best post.
There is always the best one.
We have all been there. Linux gives you mind boggling choice. That’s why we chose it. But, that choice can be paralyzing. So, you ask for advice. The problem is that such simple questions often (probably more so in the old days) lead to horrible fights or ranting threads that are a million posts long. Those of us who lived through those days are tired and cranky and still have nightmares. ;-) I suspect most people will say just try a few. Having said that, this is a Debian forum, so of course Debian is the one true Linux! ;-)

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

Unfortunately that choice is shrinking as the systemdOS takes root within Debian.

(It had to be said. I long for the days when Debian wasn't saddled by a web of interwoven, unnecessary, gratuitous coupling that often removes the modularity that Debian users enjoyed until 2014 when a seismic shift started to infect user freedoms.)
May the FORK be with you!

sickpig

#7 Post by sickpig »

debian is leaner if u do a netinstall
ubuntu no as it includes snapd by default
systemd i love it
i have slotted all my start up services milliseconds apart by systemd timers
so convinient
love it

crunchor

#8 Post by crunchor »

Honestly the Ubuntu forum is much more modern
It at least has responsive web design for mobile device

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by oswaldkelso »

crunchor wrote:Honestly the Ubuntu forum is much more modern
I have no dog in this fight but I take issue with that.

The one thing this forum does is work very well on a mobile, Any mobile not just android or apple. Try Ubuntu forum with links or lynx browsers and see the gobbledygook you get. I notice the active post is loaded with "Tug of war - community vs Mods". Every turn they try and get you to sign up by restricting your viewing rights. I've not been there for years and you reminded me why.

Not here. It just works and is quick and easy on any device and browser and in general the Mods do that. They have a thankless task just trying to keep the place running which they do and I for one thank them for it. Even if I don't always agree with them.

As to the topic and which is best... all depends on your priority's. What do you want from your distro?
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

arzgi

#10 Post by arzgi »

I don't know how Ubuntu forum is related to Ubuntu or Canonical, but this is discussion forum for Debian users

*Official Debian' is at https://www.debian.org.

sickpig

#11 Post by sickpig »

crunchor wrote:Which one is the best and why?
dont teach your father to f

crunchor

#12 Post by crunchor »

oswaldkelso wrote:
I have no dog in this fight but I take issue with that.

The one thing this forum does is work very well on a mobile, Any mobile not just android or apple. Try Ubuntu forum with links or lynx browsers and see the gobbledygook you get. I notice the active post is loaded with "Tug of war - community vs Mods". Every turn they try and get you to sign up by restricting your viewing rights. I've not been there for years and you reminded me why.

Not here. It just works and is quick and easy on any device and browser and in general the Mods do that. They have a thankless task just trying to keep the place running which they do and I for one thank them for it. Even if I don't always agree with them.

As to the topic and which is best... all depends on your priority's. What do you want from your distro?
Go to phpbb, they have responsive web forum now. Admin here just need to update the phpbb, it takes like 10 minutes.

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian is better because of the Social Contract. The only contact Ubuntu want is a financial one...
deadbang

Chrisdb

#14 Post by Chrisdb »

IMHO a better question would be why everyone on this forum uses Debian as their (main) distro.

Maybe a separate sticky post would be helpful to prevent such future questions...

neuraleskimo

#15 Post by neuraleskimo »

Chrisdb wrote:IMHO a better question would be why everyone on this forum uses Debian as their (main) distro.

Maybe a separate sticky post would be helpful to prevent such future questions...
Good ideas. Go for it...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by CwF »

Debian is.
Ubuntu is debian with fancy paint and stickers that often flakes off.

Chrisdb

#17 Post by Chrisdb »

neuraleskimo wrote:
Chrisdb wrote:IMHO a better question would be why everyone on this forum uses Debian as their (main) distro.

Good ideas. Go for it...
Here we go :D

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=144676

golinux

#18 Post by golinux »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Debian is better because of the Social Contract.
I now bring your attention to item #4 of said Social Contract:
4. Our priorities are our users and free software

We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We will support the needs of our users for operation in many different kinds of computing environments . . .
And the reality of the pending General Resolution: Init systems and systemd on which users have no vote:
Choice 1: F: Focus on systemd
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ I really don't think users should have a vote in GRs and I don't agree with you characterisation of the available choices. Furthermore I have linked the popcon statistics (over on your forums) which show that only ~1% of Debian users are booting with sysvinit so it does look like the community has already decided.

Anyway, this is all getting off-topic. Why do you prefer Debian (or Devuan) over Ubuntu?
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#20 Post by oswaldkelso »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ I have linked the popcon statistics (over on your forums) which show that only ~1% of Debian users are booting with sysvinit so it does look like the community has already decided.
Hoas stop taking the piss.

1. Ordinary users won't do anything but run the default so that's most of that 99%.
2. The many technical users just accept it, if they like it or not.
3. The other technical users have jumped ship to other distros.

Maths can say what ever the mathematician wants it to say :-)

Anyway back on topic. Given we have such as short list of distros and if my life depended on having to make a choice I'd choose Debian
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian