Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ubuntu vs Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Ubuntu vs Debian

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote:Hoas stop taking the piss.
Never! :mrgreen:

And don't get me wrong, I do agree with your points but if the apostates had remained, installed sysvinit-core and enabled popcon that might have forced the hand of the developers in respect of alternate init system support.
deadbang

golinux

#22 Post by golinux »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
oswaldkelso wrote:Hoas stop taking the piss.
Never! :mrgreen:

And don't get me wrong, I do agree with your points but if the apostates had remained, installed sysvinit-core and enabled popcon that might have forced the hand of the developers in respect of alternate init system support.
Very telling that you would suggest that it's the victim's fault for not accepting the continuing assaults of the abuser.
May the FORK be with you!

neuraleskimo

#23 Post by neuraleskimo »

Chrisdb wrote:
neuraleskimo wrote:
Chrisdb wrote:IMHO a better question would be why everyone on this forum uses Debian as their (main) distro.

Maybe a separate sticky post would be helpful to prevent such future questions...
Good ideas. Go for it...
Here we go :D

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=144676
Very good and thanks. But, the link doesn’t work.

golinux

#24 Post by golinux »

It did for me maybe 12 hours ago.

Soul Singin'

#25 Post by Soul Singin' »

golinux wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And don't get me wrong, I do agree with your points but if the apostates had remained, installed sysvinit-core and enabled popcon that might have forced the hand of the developers in respect of alternate init system support.
Very telling that you would suggest that it's the victim's fault for not accepting the continuing assaults of the abuser.
We're all human. We all have a tendency to "blame the victim."

So let's think clearly. Would a bunch of sysvinit-core in popcon really "force the hand of the developers?" The vehement opposition to systemd did not "force their hand," so what reason is there to think that some statistics would?

golinux

#26 Post by golinux »

Soul Singin' wrote:So let's think clearly. Would a bunch of sysvinit-core in popcon really "force the hand of the developers?" The vehement opposition to systemd did not "force their hand," so what reason is there to think that some statistics would?
HoaS is grasping at straws. Freedom is always at risk even under the guise of "free software". We need a fifth freedom because the 4 current ones are obviously inadequate to deal with free software that is essentially being "weaponized" to limit/control users freedoms.

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

neuraleskimo wrote:
Very good and thanks. But, the link doesn’t work.
There was already a thread about that so the mods merged it: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 5&p=712633
Soul Singin' wrote:what reason is there to think that some statistics would?
Because Debian use popcon to inform decisions like this and the current figures have been used on the mailing lists as an argument for dropping support for alternative init systems.

Anyway, enough of this diversion, please open a new thread if you (or golinux) want to discuss this further. Thanks.
deadbang

Danielsan

#28 Post by Danielsan »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Debian is better because of the Social Contract. The only contact Ubuntu want is a financial one...
Because of that Debian is organized rationally and all the packages available are organized horizontally, I mean all of them have the same importance no matter what one is an essential library or a fancy utility. In Ubuntu there are packages that are considered important and are in the main repo and packages that are considered second class citizen, available in the universe repo, and those can be buggy for an entire cycle (even in a LTS). Ubuntu is quite prone to promote proprietary software against the floss alternatives.

Mr. Lumbergh

#29 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Chrisdb wrote:IMHO a better question would be why everyone on this forum uses Debian as their (main) distro.

Maybe a separate sticky post would be helpful to prevent such future questions...
What about those that use and love it but don't necessarily consider it their "main?" :wink: