Integrated video and add on card fighting forr dominance...

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Integrated video and add on card fighting forr dominance...

Postby jeffry7 » 2019-12-20 02:43

and the integrated video card is winning.

I got this older PC and threw Debian buster on it for use as a casual desktop. The video card that was in it appeared to not be working, but it had integrated video on the MoBo so I used that. Then one of the two displays from the IG started going purple. (Loss of green channel?) So I bought a cheap video card capable of dual display and put it in there. I didn't work right off, but then it did and I was happy.

Now it has quit working.

When I look at the output of lshw or lspci, only one vga adapter shows up. At the moment the one adapter is the MoBo adapter. The one with purple haze. (Although not all the time.)

I suppose it is possible that the PCIe port is damaged and that is why the initial video card appeared to not work. When I put in the 2ns card, I got lucky, but now the luck has run out. If this si the case, then it is time for a new MoBo or just chuck the project and move on to something else. But I thought I would check here first.

Fun fact. The bios is set to check the PCIe port for a graphics card first. Then PCI and last IGP.

Is there a config thing I can try?

Thanks!
jeffry7

Re: Integrated video and add on card fighting forr dominance

Postby Himilou » 2019-12-25 06:38

If it doesn't show in lspci or Ishw I doubt there is a state software config you can try.
I did have a similar issue a while back and I fixed it by removing the add on card, clearing nvram with the mother board jumpers, boring, and then adding the add in video back in.
Himilou

Postby jeffry7 » 2019-12-25 23:09

Himilou wrote:If it doesn't show in lspci or Ishw I doubt there is a state software config you can try.
I did have a similar issue a while back and I fixed it by removing the add on card, clearing nvram with the mother board jumpers, boring, and then adding the add in video back in.

Boring? Did you mean booting?
jeffry7

Postby Himilou » 2019-12-26 00:06

yes, I meant booting. Most machines need to post or power on for about 10 seconds for the nvram jumper reset to work.
Himilou

Return to Hardware